    price difference between the 9800 pro and x800 pro. Is there much of a
    performance difference on the two 256mB AGP versions?

    Thanks

    boe, May 24, 2005

  2. boe

    DaveW Guest

    Yes! The X800 will run MUCH higher frame rates in games.

    DaveW, May 25, 2005

  3. boe

    Augustus Guest

    Fairly substantial. It's faster at any resolution, but the X800 Pro will
    really pull away from the 9800 Pro at high resolutions with options maxed.
    It's a huge difference at 1280x1024.

    Augustus, May 25, 2005
  4. boe

    boe Guest

    Thanks - I guess that explains the price difference.

    boe, May 25, 2005
  5. boe

    boe Guest

    Thank you

    boe, May 25, 2005
  6. boe

    JT Guest

    Look at the 800XL as an option as well. It's sort of an underclocked version
    of the 850XT. I just bought one, and for the price it's a great card.
    Running Doom3 at high quality and Farcry with everything else maxed out
    right now, and it's totally smooth.

    JT, May 25, 2005
  7. boe

    boe Guest

    Thanks - I might end up getting the 800 XT based on the price $330 vs. a
    little less for some other models - this seems to be the most bang for the
    buck.

    boe, May 25, 2005
  8. boe

    vellu Guest

    Augustus kirjoitti:
    That it does. Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember reading
    somewhere that X600 is basically a PCIE version of 9800. Making both
    X700 and X800 faster cards, also both being specifically designed for
    PCIE (thus using it more efficiently then X600 which is based on a
    agp-design of 9800-series). Do I remember correctly?

    vellu, May 25, 2005
  9. boe

    ofn01 Guest

    I upgraded from a 9600XT to a 9800 Pro
    I had the money for an X800 Pro but I didn't want to have to upgrade my
    PSU. My PSU only has 15A on the 12V rail and a 9800 Pro does not load up
    the 12V rail. The X800 Pro however does load it up.

    The 9800 Pro is about 40% faster than a 9600XT and an X800 Pro I think
    is roughly twice as fast as a 9800 pro from memory

    9600 has 4 pipelines and a 128bit memory interface
    9800 Pro has 8 pipelines and a 256bit memory interface
    X800 Pro has 12 pipelines and a 256bit memory interface

    This page has more details:
    http://techreport.com/etc/comparo/graphics/

    ofn01, May 25, 2005
  10. boe

    ofn01 Guest

    Just make sure your PSU is up to it.
    (300W absolute bare min and with that it needs 18A on the 12V rail,
    preferably higher for wattage if you're running lots of hard drives/a
    power hungry CPU etc.)

    ofn01, May 25, 2005
  11. boe

    ofn01 Guest

    No I think the X600 is pretty much akin to a 9600 - 4 pipelines/128bit
    interface. The X700 has 8 pipelines, but still a 128bit interface, but
    the newer chip technology + PCIe I think makes it about as fast as a
    9800 Pro (if not a bit faster I think). I think an X700 is about as fast
    as a 6600GT which is faster than both a 9800 Pro and 9800XT

    ofn01, May 25, 2005
  12. boe

    boe Guest

    Thanks - I have a solid 350w

    boe, May 25, 2005
  13. boe

    Augustus Guest

    Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember reading
    The X600 series is just the 9600 series ported over to the PCIe formfactor.
    Any 9800 Pro will run circles around them at any resolution. The X700 Pro
    actually spanks the 9800 Pro quite handily at 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 in
    Doom3 and FarCry. AT 1024x768 they're pretty close.
    http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/videocards/article.php/3211_3411451__5

    Augustus, May 26, 2005