    these 2 cards are DX9 level, does it make a difference if I choose the 64MB
    version with either D800 or I8600?

    I am looking for opinions from people who have used both, thanks much!

    Stas Newdel, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Stas Newdel

    DanR Guest

    You've kinda answered your own question....

    D800 and i8600 share same chassis but D800 has more robust look and feel
    (Tri-metal casing no plastic)
    i8600 is slightly less sturdy but has more consumer features such as hard
    drive and video that you pointed out.

    If it was my choice (and i'm similar user to you) i'd buy the D800 every
    time.

    Dan

    DanR, Dec 1, 2003

  3. Stas Newdel

    j2222 Guest

    DanR,
    I am sitting at my D800 now and I must say the feel of the machine I find
    quite cheap and certainly 'plasticy'. Never used an Inspiron, but if it
    feels even less robust I would be worried. All my previous laptops have
    been IBM or Compaq and have felt likely to live forever (I have a 6 year old
    Thinkpad has a PDC at home) ... this Dell I not so sure! My last machine, A
    Compaq N600C was very wellbuilt, really sturdy. On my D800 (now 6 months
    old, the hinge wobbles, the casing creaks if you squeeze it, the keyboard
    feels cheap ... spec wise it is fantastic though!!! I just wish Dell would
    ship video card upgrades in the UK ... like they do in the states - I do
    play games :)

    Regards,
    James

    j2222, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Stas Newdel

    Chainer Guest

    Get the Dell 8600 with "Complete Care" - if it starts to fall apart or
    become useless - or gets too close to the warranty expiration date - just
    leave it on top of your car and drive off - wait down the street for the
    next truck to run over it and call Dell Tech support!

    Chainer, Dec 9, 2003
  5. Stas Newdel

    diddy Guest

    Well (see the recent thread "Dell from Hell") I really wouldn't bank a lot
    on Tech support.
    But finally after months of heartache and TV arbitration, Dell did send me
    a 8600. After getting the kinks out of that fiasco, I finally opened it
    and upacked it and moved in.

    The case is nice. I bought a couple accessories (like an optical mouse) And
    LOVE it!!! The trade they made was almost worth the heartache they gave me.
    Now it needs a nice set of speakers (MP3's sound kind of bad on tinny
    speakers)
    Once I finish moving it, my new laptop will have all the portability of my
    desktop. But that's personal user options.

    This 8600 will work!

    diddy, Dec 9, 2003
  6. Stas Newdel

    danr Guest

    James,

    Strange you find the D800 case "plasticy" considering it's all metal, but
    don't doubt you're opinion.

    Intrigued by your comment re: video card upgrades though. what exactly do
    you mean? The only Video upgrade (globally) is 32 to 64Mb.

    Dan

    danr, Dec 9, 2003
  7. Stas Newdel

    Diane Wilson Guest

    That's what the port replicator is for. My D800 is completely portable.
    But as a desktop, it has an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, scanner,
    LAN connection, two printers, PDA cradle, drawing tablet, flash memory
    reader, USB backup drive, and speakers.

    Hit the docking release and it's ready for the road.

    Diane

    Diane Wilson, Dec 9, 2003
  8. Stas Newdel

    Diane Wilson Guest

    I have one of the first D800s that shipped. No screen hinge wobble.
    Dell isn't known for good keyboards, but this is the best Dell keyboard
    I've used. Compared to the C-series Latitudes, it feels much *less*
    "plasticy."

    My only complaint is about heat dissipation. It's been through
    two Intel wireless cards; I finally gave up and went with the
    Dell 1300, which (so far) is holding up. The first attempt at
    a memory upgrade (non-Dell) also didn't hold up in the heat.
    It's OK in the dock, but gets very warm on a cushion or pillow
    (which ought to be a no-no, but I do it).

    Otherwise, it's an outstanding machine. The monitor (WUXGA,
    1920 x 1200) is superb.

    Diane

    Diane Wilson, Dec 9, 2003
  9. Stas Newdel

    Whelan Guest

    Dan, I'm curious about the video upgrade possibility.

    I bought a 8500 in late October and made the mistake of getting a 32mb video
    card. I'm hoping that can be upgraded when it starts to disappoint.
    When I called Dell to ask, a lady in (Parts?) Sales said $179 and advised
    against trying to do it. I have the Complete Care warranty ... would
    upgrading video card void that?
    Nan

    Whelan, Dec 10, 2003
  10. Stas Newdel

    j2222 Guest

    Dan,
    Well the outer part of the lid feels metal (i.e. cool to the touch), but the
    palm rests and rest of the lower case etc feel plastic and are getting very
    scratched by my watch strap where it rests on the casing - this is exposing
    different coloured plastic underneath. Hence looking a bit tatty.

    I've read numerous threads which say people have upgraded D800 successfully
    to Nvidia 5650Go GPU ... which significantly increases performance.

    Regards,
    James

    j2222, Dec 10, 2003
  11. Stas Newdel

    j2222 Guest

    Diane,
    I agree with you on the general spec/performance of the machine ... I've put
    a 7200rpm drive into it and that has boosted performance significantly ... I
    was heavily disk I/O bound previously. The screen is fantastic ... wireless
    was a pain to get working, heating is not too bad!

    Regards,
    James

    j2222, Dec 10, 2003