    CJT Guest

    Are there any differences between the Sun Ray 1 and the Sun Ray 1g?
    What are they?

    CJT, Jan 14, 2004

  2. The maximum resolution went up from 1280x1024 to 1920x1200; also, I I
    would suppose the 1g may require a newer version of the server-side
    software (i.e. 2.0 vs 1.3).

    Aside from the graphics hardware, it looks like pretty much everything
    else is the same. For more details on the hardware, see:

    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/SunRay1/components.html
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/SunRay1/spec.html

    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/SunRay1g/components.html
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/SunRay1g/spec.html

    and for the software, see:

    http://wwws.sun.com/sunray/docs.html

    Richard L. Hamilton, Jan 14, 2004

  3. CJT

    CJT Guest

    From those, it seems they got rid of the video input. No wonder I
    haven't seen any support for it.

    CJT, Jan 14, 2004
  4. CJT

    Ottomeister Guest

    2.0 software and firmware is required if you use the higher resolutions
    supported by the 1g. 1.3 can't cope with desktop dimensions bigger than
    1280x1024.
    Right, the 1g has no video input. It had to go to make room for the
    1g's DVI-I connector and circuitry which lets you drive digital
    signals to a flat panel. VGA signals for analog monitors are still
    there, the 1g comes with a DVI-to-VGA adapter that presents the VGA
    pinout.

    OttoM.

    Ottomeister, Jan 14, 2004
  5. How did one take advantage of the video input? Was it for streaming
    video back to the server, or for local display on the Sun Ray 1? If the
    latter, did it require the connection to the server in order to work?

    Could it be used to display DVDs from my DVD player, or live images from
    my video camera?

    I was thinking of picking up a Sun Ray, on the grounds that it would be
    rather quiet. I had though the extra video estate of the 1g might be
    worth the extra cash, but then again, the video input might also be
    quite a good thing.

    Has anyone tried running one of these things off a Sun Fire V100? I
    don't expect it to be super, but will it manage? Thought I might put
    the V100 in a cupboard far away where I couldn't hear it...

    Tristram Scott, Jan 16, 2004
  6. CJT

    CJT Guest

    Let me know if you find out. I'm not aware of any way to use it.
    Maybe that's why it was deleted.
    FWIW, I have three of them running on a dual-300 Ultra 2, and they
    seem just fine to me. Perhaps I'm not very demanding, though --
    mostly I word process, browse the Internet, and listen to music with
    them.

    CJT, Jan 16, 2004
  7. there was never any use for the video in AFAIK, so no tears thats its gone.

    A sunray is completly silent, there are no moving parts at all.
    It works fine from a v100, actualy better then the native gfx in a blade
    100.

    --
    Barbie - Prayers are like junkmail for Jesus

    I have seen things you lusers would not believe.
    I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab.
    I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate.
    All these things will be lost in time, like the root partition last week.
    Time to die.

    Barbie LeVile, Jan 16, 2004
  8. CJT

    Will Hartung Guest

    How does a human being go about getting SunRay Server software for a few
    stations running in the house? That's the nut to crack, as I understand it.

    Regards,

    Will Hartung
    ()

    Will Hartung, Jan 16, 2004
  9. CJT

    CJT Guest

    They sell single licenses for about 100 bucks (at least they did last
    time I looked) and as I recall the media is about 35 bucks.

    CJT, Jan 16, 2004
  10. CJT

    Will Hartung Guest

    Yeah, all I could find on their site was a setup for 20 licenses at $1,695.
    This is for 2.0.

    http://store.sun.com/catalog/doc/BrowsePage.jhtml?cid=93266&parentId=81126

    Regards,

    Will Hartung
    ()

    Will Hartung, Jan 17, 2004
  11. CJT

    Paul Eggert Guest

    It must have been quite some time since you looked, as they haven't
    done that for years.

    Paul Eggert, Jan 17, 2004
  12. CJT

    Markus Gyger Guest

    Markus Gyger, Jan 17, 2004
  13. CJT

    Ottomeister Guest

    It's the former, incoming video is handed up to the server.
    No, not unless you had something running on the server to take
    the video input and render it back to the Sun Ray's screen. The
    only application I know of that knows how to accept video input
    from a Sun Ray is Sun Forum. It hasn't been a big seller, which
    is part of why the 1g was allowed to drop the video in capability.
    The ability to take in video through a USB-attached camera is on
    the Sun Ray wish list. I don't know when, if ever, that will be
    supported.
    As Mistress LeVile said, they're completely silent. It's sorta
    spooky, it takes a little getting used to.

    If you just want to give it a try you can probably pick up a Sun
    Ray 1 on Ebay for a few bucks, then spend the $$$ for a 1g later
    if you like the experience but need more pixels on-screen. Or
    you can configure the server to treat multiple Sun Rays as a
    single multiheaded display. In some of the offices around here
    the loudest noise is the fan in the 4-port Ethernet switch people
    use to give them extra ports so that they can plug in several Sun
    Rays in a multihead setup.
    That should be fine. Sun Rays can't act as consoles so you'll
    still need to have something somewhere that can act as a console
    when the V100 is at the OBP prompt or running single-user.

    OttoM.

    Ottomeister, Jan 17, 2004
  14. I can imagine one problem with that, as long as the USB on the SunRays
    is strictly 1.x: USB 1.x cameras just about have to compress the data
    stream; that means more work for the server to transform it as needed
    for distribution, which in turn means a _lot_ less clients per server
    that can be handled if doing video conferencing.

    [...]

    Richard L. Hamilton, Jan 18, 2004
  15. CJT

    CJT Guest

    <snip>

    Thanks for that information. I was unaware of SunForum. Given the
    price (free), I don't see any reason not to give it a try!

    CJT, Jan 19, 2004
  16. How is listening to music on your 'Ray? On mine with XMMS it would
    skip all the time.

    Thanks
    Mike

    Michael Dombrowski, Jan 24, 2004
  17. CJT

    CJT Guest

    You need to add

    set autoup=240

    to /etc/system and reboot.

    CJT, Jan 24, 2004
  18. CJT

    Rob Healey Guest

    The video input was supported for SunForum so you could videoconference
    using the SunRay. I used it a couple of times and it seemed to work OK
    if you had an NTSC composite video source like a camcorder or some
    digital cameras.

    Assume the USB 2.0 support is beefed up, the 1g can probably use a
    webcam on the local USB bus for that purpose.

    -Rob

    Rob Healey, Jan 28, 2004