    but that power dissipation of the package stays optimal at 68.3 Watts.
    Therefore, they are spec'd differently, but are max'd the same.

    liaM

    liaM, Sep 19, 2003

  2. liaM

    Ed Guest

    But both the "Typical" and "Max" are the same for all three of those
    chips!

    AMD Athlon™ XP Processor Model 10 Data Sheet 26237 C 05/12/03
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26237.PDF

    Chapter 6.1: Electrical and Thermal Specifications for the Advanced 333
    FSB AMD Athlon™ XP Processor Model 10

    2500-2800+ 68.3W/53.7W
    3000+ 74.3W/58.4W

    Weird AMD shit! :)
    Ed

    Ed, Sep 19, 2003

  3. liaM

    lost Guest

    I doubt they were playing catch up and instead just trying to increase
    Are motherboards autodetecting & setting the FSB speed by instruction from the
    CPU now?

    lost, Sep 19, 2003
  4. liaM

    Nystagmus Guest

    From www.newegg.com

    AMD ATHLON XP 2600 /333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM - US $94.00
    Specifications:
    CPU: 2.08 GHz
    Type: XP 2600 Thoroughbred
    Cache: 256K
    BUS: 333MHz
    Socket A
    OEM (Processor Only)

    AMD ATHLON XP 2600+ Barton 333MHz FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM US $98.00
    Specifications:
    CPU: 1.9 GHz
    Type: XP 2600 Barton Core
    Cache: 512K L2
    BUS: 333MHz
    Socket A
    OEM (Processor Only)

    Both XP 2600+ each with a different CPU: GHz and Cache sizes.

    Nystagmus, Sep 19, 2003
  5. liaM

    liaM Guest

    lost a écrit :

    yes.. all 4 of my athlon boards do that. I wanted to upgrade one of
    them
    with a speedier athlon that's why I needed help to figure out which one
    was which..

    Autodetection is a very handy, so long as you plug in an athlon which
    the bios is programmed to recognize. Plug one that's too fast (or too
    slow) and you can kill it. This happened to me. It was almost
    subliminal. There was no puff of smoke. No smell.. Just a dead
    70 buck worth of high tech.

    liaM, Sep 19, 2003
  6. liaM

    liaM Guest

    couldn't be clearer !

    liaM, Sep 19, 2003
  7. liaM

    rstlne Guest

    yes.. all 4 of my athlon boards do that. I wanted to upgrade one of
    them
    with a speedier athlon that's why I needed help to figure out which one
    was which..

    Autodetection is a very handy, so long as you plug in an athlon which
    the bios is programmed to recognize. Plug one that's too fast (or too
    slow) and you can kill it. This happened to me. It was almost
    subliminal. There was no puff of smoke. No smell.. Just a dead
    70 buck worth of high tech.

    your getting a little too technical really

    Think of it this way..
    the chip has 5 switches, all are open or closed
    so you have a possible 25 different switch positions
    those switches controle voltage..
    now the motherboards use a standardised (usually) voltage regulation chip
    that takes of course the input from the 5 switches..
    so virtually every time the chip will request the correct voltage

    Now think of the multiplier and the fsb in the exact same way..

    Here is where the problem comes in..
    something like a athlonxp 3000 might use 5 bits to request voltage and fsb
    and mutliplier
    but if the motehrboard is too old then those bits will be driven low
    (closed) and you end up getting a voltage/fsb/multiplier that's LOWER than
    what the chip request (if I am wrong then feel free anyone to correct me on
    this)..

    now from that stand point TECHNICALLY SPEAKING you should be 100% okay 100%
    of the time to put say any athlon/duron/athlonxp chip in any
    athlon/duron/athlonxp board without them destroying each other

    rstlne, Sep 19, 2003
  8. liaM

    MCheu Guest

    Thanks. I was starting to wonder if I had halucinated it.

    ========================
    Thanks

    MCheu

    MCheu, Sep 19, 2003
  9. liaM

    Wes Newell Guest

    If you know one that does, let me know so I can make sure I don't buy it.
    I'll set it up the way i want it. It should default to the lowest fsb
    available and the default multiplier. Same for ram, minimum settings. IOW,
    i want it to boot when I plug it in, even if there's a problem.

    Wes Newell, Sep 19, 2003