    I know that the 9100 is heavier and has a shorter batterylife.

    Is the M processor as fast as the pentium 4?

    can somebody help?

    maxi, Oct 8, 2004

  2. maxi

    Quaoar Guest

    Get anything but do not spring for the P4. These are notorious for
    heat-related problems. The M is probably as fast as a 2.8Ghz P4, but
    you will not notice the difference if it is not. Buy as much video with
    dedicated VRAM as you can afford, and as much HD -5400rpm or 7200rpm -
    as you can afford. Given a choice, I would do the video since there is
    no aftermarket upgrade for video.

    Quaoar, Oct 8, 2004

  3. maxi

    moncho Guest

    It really depends on how often you will traveling with your laptop and how
    often it will be in your lap.

    I have the Inspirion 8600 with a 1.6 GHz and it is more than enough for me.
    I do not
    play many games at all so it is worth it to me. I went with the 7200 rpm HD
    and it does
    make about a 10% performance improvement.

    I love the fact that I can keep the laptop on my lap for 3-4 hours
    unplugged, running multiple
    programs and playing a CD on a single fully-charged battery.

    moncho

    moncho, Oct 8, 2004
  4. maxi

    maxi Guest

    so, the M processor is the right choice for me? (No gamer)

    Thx for the info,

    Ronald- Belgium

    maxi, Oct 8, 2004
  6. maxi

    BT Guest

    Might be a better idea to get a good mid-range desktop plus an entry level
    laptop - probably both could be had for the same total price of the single
    machine you are considering. Also then you don't have to worry about losing all
    your data if your laptop gets stolen while traveling, since you've got your
    desktop back at home. Also could do a little home networking if on cable or dsl
    internet connection.

    BT

    BT, Oct 8, 2004