    receiver.
    It is a weird 2-4 pin connector though.
    What do I need to do this?

    jammer, Apr 9, 2008

  2. jammer

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Are you sure this drive has a digital output?

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Apr 9, 2008

  3. jammer

    jammer Guest

    jammer, Apr 9, 2008
  4. jammer

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Aha. You do not have a 2+4 connector. You have a 4 pin analog connector
    and a 2 pin digital connector. That one is very likely a standard
    S/PDIF connector, one pin is ground and one a 1V level digital
    output. I am not aware of internal to external S/PDIF cables,
    so you likely have to roll your own. For this you can get an internal
    S/PDIF cable, and add a standard RCA Plug (shild goes to outside).
    If you accidentially swap the connections, you should not damage
    anything, as the driver has a 75R series resitor. If your receiver
    has an optical input, you need to get a powered converter
    (likely expensive) as the signal levels are not enough to drive an
    LED.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Apr 9, 2008
  5. jammer

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Update: It seems manu CDROMS actually have a TTL level S/PDIF output.
    If yours has one too, you need a converter in any case and you
    may damage your receiver if you connect directly. Sorry.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Apr 9, 2008
  6. jammer

    jammer Guest

    This is my receiver:
    http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/ht/rxv1000.html

    The PDF says it has coaxial digital inputs but I assumed they were all
    optical (they all look the same)

    1. I need something like:
    http://www.pccables.com/cables/05026.htm

    2. solder a female RCA on one end

    3. use this:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/25-FT-Digital-Co...ryZ73384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    to connect it to my receiver

    jammer, Apr 9, 2008
  7. jammer

    jammer Guest

    Why do CDROM manufacturers do that?
    I can't be the ONLY person that wants to connect my cdrom digital
    output to my receiver.

    jammer, Apr 9, 2008
  8. jammer

    jammer Guest

    jammer, Apr 9, 2008
  9. jammer

    jammer Guest

    I found 'S/PDIF brackets' that convert digital output from a
    motherboard to an external connector.
    Do you think this would work for my CDROM (not going throught the
    motherboard)?

    jammer, Apr 9, 2008
  10. jammer

    Arno Wagner Guest

    I have no idea.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Apr 9, 2008
  11. jammer

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    Actually, motherboard manufacturers do it as well. Most on board sound
    systems output TTL level digital.

    M.I.5¾, May 8, 2008
  12. jammer

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    The one advantage that TTL level S/PDIF outputs have is that they can be
    converted to optical using just an LED and a 120 ohm resistor (though the
    inclusion of an op amp to act as a buffer would be better.

    M.I.5¾, May 8, 2008
  13. jammer

    Arno Wagner Guest

    OpAmp as buffer is a very bad idea, unless you use a very expensive
    high-speed rail-to-rail 5V capable OpAmp. I am not even sure these
    exist. Simply use a 5V digital driver and an appropriate resister if
    you need more than the around 2mA a standard digital output can supply.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, May 8, 2008