    "pre N" or eventually the "N" card would be wiser. What are my
    options here?

    thanks in advance all.

    Rob, Feb 27, 2006

  2. It'll work just fine, they are upwards compatable. B clients will
    work on G and Pre-N (and probably Draft-N and Real-N) APs, G clients
    will work on B and {all the N} APs, etc.

    William P.N. Smith, Feb 27, 2006

  3. Rob

    S.Lewis Guest

    Should be backward compatible and fully capable of 802.11b. No other
    upgrades necessary.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 27, 2006
  4. Well that's partially true. G is definitely backwards compatible with
    B, however for a B card to join a G (and most likely a N) network, the
    access point has to be set into mixed mode. This will lower the overall
    performance of the network (even for communication between two G clients
    for example). The performance hit typically isn't substantial (beyond
    the obvious slowdown of a B client talking to a G or vice versa), but
    it's definitely present. A workaround is to connect a separate B AP to
    the G AP and have it act as a bridge between the two networks.

    For the original poster, you should also note 802.11A is not compatible
    with B or G or N (A operates at a much higher frequency). With that
    said, there are cards which can receive both A & B/G (eg. Intel's IPW2900)

    Nicholas Andrade, Feb 27, 2006
  5. Good point. However, the OP doesn't know about these details, so the
    chances that he'll buy an AP and configure it for G-only are
    vanishingly small. [Note to the OP: Don't do that.]

    William P.N. Smith, Feb 27, 2006