    Can anyone give me an alternative fan replacement for Dell p/n 5U059?

    Thanks in advance,
    Greg

    Greg, Aug 24, 2004

  2. Doesn't exist. I've been looking for one myself. The wiring is proprietary
    to Dell.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar aka Rocky, Aug 24, 2004

  3. Greg

    Ted Guest

    I'm curious... how many wires are used? Have you found a pinout
    diagram for the connector, or have you in some other way identified
    which wires are what?

    Ted, Aug 24, 2004
  4. Greg

    S.Lewis Guest

    I'm not sure if you're looking for a third-party solution or another Dell
    part. If it's the latter, try D/PN D1592. That should get you the fan and
    plug, shroud, and housing. Snap it in and go. The same part has a variety
    of part numbers depending on the age of the machine. The specs. seem to be
    identical - though I can't recall if the fan maker is or not.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 24, 2004
  5. Greg

    Ben Myers Guest

    The connector from the fan to the motherboard is an unusual 3-pin one, common
    across Dell PowerEdge servers (at least some early models), Optiplexes, and
    Dimensions. The connector is black and has a little latch to hold it in place,
    much like the latch on the 4-connector audio cables inside a computer. I'm sure
    that the wires follow the usual color coding scheme for 3-pin fans. Fan
    operating voltage is the usual 12v. Amperage rating varies with the size and
    RPM of fan. Various manufacturers including NMB... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 24, 2004
  6. Greg

    Ben Myers Guest

    All these name brand computer companies kill themselves by coming up with
    different part numbers for the same physical part installed in a different model
    of computer. And, of course, they assign different part numbers to physically
    identical parts made by different manufacturers. This complicates the
    management of spare parts inventory, and adds greatly to the cost of stocking
    spares. Must be something I do not understand about the manufacturing mentality
    that drives this need to assign unique part numbers. Even with cross-references
    for identical parts, it's a nightmare.

    I've run into the same problem trying to decipher and use spare parts for DEC
    (R.I.P.) and Compaq (double R.I.P.) computers. Compaq has used the same 1.44"
    floppy drive without a front bezel and with a rounded eject buttom forever. A
    1.44" floppy from a 1994 model Compaq will drop right into a two-year old
    computer. But there must be 30 or 40 different part numbers for Compaq 1.44"
    floppy drives. Maybe more. And then I get calls and emails from spare parts
    houses looking for the EXACT part number, and a perfect physical replacement
    will not do... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 24, 2004
  7. Greg

    Ted Guest

    Would that be red = +12v, black = ground, third (possibly yellow) wire
    = speed sense signal to MB? What I'm wondering is are these things
    standardized enough that you can usually safely interchange processor
    fans or in this case grab a new one and simply hook it up to the cable
    end off the old one?

    Ted, Aug 24, 2004
  8. Greg

    Ben Myers Guest

    The BIG fan from the Poweredge server here has red, black and white wires. Same
    thing, I would imagine. The white one is the middle wire... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 24, 2004
  9. Greg

    Ben Myers Guest

    Greg,

    FWIW, I called Dell spare parts yesterday and told them I needed a cooling fan
    and shroud for a Dell 4400. I was told the cost would be $14 and change plus
    shipping for a total of around $23. The assembly arrived today, which is pretty
    damned good service. The Dell part number for the entire assembly is D1592,
    both on the packing slip and stickered onto the green shroud. The fan is a
    Datech part #0925-12HBTL. Since you really only need the fan, you can carefull
    remove the fan from the 4400 shroud and attach it to the 2400 shroud, which I
    think are different. The fan is the same. I think the price is reasonable
    given the specialized nature of the part, and the overnight service is awesome,
    just like my experience with IBM. (I mention IBM because I have as high respect
    for IBM as I do for Dell. Both make quality computers compared to the other
    name-brand purveyors of computer junk.)... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 26, 2004
  10. Greg

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    Ben,

    You must mean you received a fan for your 4600? (not 4400)...as the parts
    are totally different. ?

    Additionally, if the OP pulls the fan off of the rubber bushings/nibs in
    that housing, he will indeed have POD hell getting another back in using
    same, unless he substitutes screws or some plastic pop tabs - either of
    which would be pretty noisy.

    The fan series for the 43XX-83XX systems is the 2X585 fan/housing. The 4600
    ( and 23XX-46XX) systems use the part number you've mentioned.

    Good luck.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 26, 2004
  11. Greg

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:53:05 -0500, "S.Lewis" <>
    wrote:
    Nope. I asked for a 4400 fan/shroud assembly, and I got the D1592 part. You're
    right. It doesn't quite fit the 4400 chassis. But there are enough parts (the
    fan and bsuhings, plus other odds and end in my parts boxes to make for a
    professional enough adaptation. Close enough for government work, and the price
    was modest enough to make it worth bringing a 4400 back to life without messing
    around with a soldering iron.

    The rubber bushings are easy to remove and re-insert. I use the tip of a small
    flat-head screwdriver to gently ease a bushing out of a hole. The bushings are
    even easier to re-insert... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 26, 2004
  12. Greg

    S.Lewis Guest

    I'm glad you've found them easy. I've found them to be a major PITA.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 26, 2004
  13. Greg

    Ben Myers Guest

    I cut my teeth, so to speak, on the Pentium II and Pentium III IBM towers with
    real quiet fans held on by rubber bushings. Gave my son a set of 4 to attach a
    fan to his custom-built computer... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 26, 2004
  14. Greg

    Greg Guest

    Thanks to all that helped!