Dimension 2300 New HD - XP reinstall

Discussion in 'Dell' started by l_etoile, Nov 17, 2005.

  1. l_etoile

    l_etoile Guest

    Hi,

    This has probably been asked before, but unfortunately, I can't seem to
    find the info. My daughter has a Dimension 2300 - 1.8 P4 I bought new
    a few years ago, and while it has performed flawlessly, the need for a
    larger hard drive is imminent (30GB at present).

    I'm looking at 80GB (hopefully this machine can handle something that
    size)... my worrry is when it comes to reinstalling XP Home (on the
    fresh drive) - will there be issues with activation? I don't cherish
    the idea of having to buy XP again... BTW, I will be using the original
    disks that came with the machine.

    What do you think?

    I appreciate the comments, suggestions... etc.

    Thank you very much.

    -Danielle

    l_etoile, Nov 17, 2005

  2. l_etoile

    george Guest

    Microsoft has been pretty reasonable about such things (though you may
    have to phone them to explain the situation) if you have your heart set on
    re-installing. You could also use disk image software such as Ghost or
    Casper to clone your existing drive and applications to the new drive
    then swap making the new drive the boot drive...when I did that with
    my Inspiron, XP didn't give it a second thought (as far as it was concerned
    it was the same PC, which it was, with a new drive added)...and it was
    nice already having all my applications and data there, too.

    George

    george, Nov 17, 2005

  3. l_etoile

    Yeff Guest

    I've installed larger drives on both my parents and one of my sisters
    4550's. No activation of the OS.

    I can't remember for sure but Office on my parents machine might have
    needed reactivation. It's been too long since I replaced the drives so
    I can't remember for sure.

    Yeff, Nov 17, 2005
  4. l_etoile

    S.Lewis Guest

    Danielle -

    No activation will be (or should be) required when using the Dell disc that
    came with the system.

    It's not happened to me yet over countless re-installs with the correct
    media.

    Good luck,

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 17, 2005
  5. l_etoile

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Be sure to boot from the Dell provided CD. You should be fine. You won't be
    prompted for an activation code. If you have to use a non-Dell CD, just
    enter the code on the label attached to the CPU.

    Hank Arnold, Nov 17, 2005
  6. l_etoile

    Danielle Guest

    Hello,

    I would like to thank everyone for their much appreciated knowledge.

    Just more quick question if I may... I apologize for any inconvenience.

    To the original factory shipped configuration I have added a second
    stick of RAM and a second optical drive, a CD-RW/DVD combo. Will these
    additions play a role in the activation process... meaning, would it be
    better to restore the computer to its original state before attempting
    the XP install or should I leave everything as is and just go for it?

    Once more, thank you all.

    -Danielle.

    Danielle, Nov 17, 2005
  7. l_etoile

    Bob Levine Guest

    Those additions should have absolutely no impact at all. Just go for it.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Nov 19, 2005
  8. l_etoile

    Tom Scales Guest

    Agreed. Particularly with Dell's XP CD, which does not require activation
    anyway.

    Usually it takes a network card or motherboard change to cause a problem.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 19, 2005
  9. l_etoile

    Danielle Guest

    I'm embarrassed to ask another question, but I must... sorry.

    I don't mean to question anyone's expertise, but will the Dell
    "Operating System Reinstallation CD" (XP) work on the new (clean) hard
    drive? For some reason, I thought such disk was only for a reformat of
    the existing hard drive... that it would look for instructions Dell had
    installed in a magical partition somewhere on the hard drive and if it
    didn't find them, it would not install the XP?

    My daughter is going crazy at my lack of aptitude, but I told her she
    has to be patient until one of the guys with the brains assures me that
    I am not going to totally zap everything into hyperspace.

    Once more, thank you very much.

    -Danielle.

    Danielle, Nov 19, 2005
  10. l_etoile

    Jay B Guest

    yes it should work fine.
    just make sure you boot off the dell cd.
    and make sure the new hard drive is the only one in the computer.
    the old hard drive with the existing system should be kept out temporarily.
    then when the cd boots up, it will see the new drive and ask questions
    accordingly.
    you will have to create a partition the entire size of the hard drive,
    and then make sure you do a full format using ntfs.
    then after the format, the installation will continue to completion,
    then it will reboot. do not remove the cd, just leave it alone and let
    it reboot off the new hard drive and the installation will continue.
    you will need to reinstall all your programs.

    Jay B, Nov 19, 2005