Dimension 2300 random reboots

Discussion in 'Dell' started by B. Walker, Nov 17, 2005.

  1. B. Walker

    B. Walker Guest

    Hello,

    I have a Dell Dimension 2300 that I replaced the motherboard in two months
    ago after the orginial motherboard died. It has been sitting here
    collecting more dust than anything. Well initially I put XP Pro SP2 on it
    and it worked fine, how ever it would periodically reboot instantly for no
    reason. For example I could be watching a video and then the screen would
    go black, the numlock and other lock keys on the keyboard would flash
    indicating the PC was in boot mode. Then it would go through the reboot
    process. No bluescreen, no memory dump, nothing. The really strange thing
    is that sometimes it'll go a week without a reboot, then like this evening,
    it would even reboot while it's booting.

    I tried numerous things to troubleshoot. Installed different OS's but that
    didn't solve anything. Removed all PCI adapters, disconnected all ide
    devices (except the hdd), flashed down to the A01 bios, turned of unneeded
    bios settings like USB, etc. Nothing, it still randomly reboots. I even
    stuck in MemTest x86 to check the memory and it even rebooted during that
    time. The only thing I can remotely think of causing this at this point is
    either the powersupply, memory, or motherboard. Are there any ideas for
    this? Powersupplies run $35-$45 on eBay and while I would gladly get a
    needed one, but get one and find out that isn't it, would be money down the
    drain.

    Ideas?

    Brad

    B. Walker, Nov 17, 2005

  2. could be a silly as the power cord not being fully seated in the back of the
    machine... coul dbe that the processor or memory isn't seated properly, or
    the processor isn't cooled properly so overheating... have you looked at
    the 4 leds labled abcd on the back of the machine? they show codes that
    help pinpoint problems. and what was the event that casused the original
    motherboard to fail (perhaps that is related to this issue).

    Christopher Muto, Nov 18, 2005

  3. B. Walker

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    Sitting here wondering what the failure was on the original motherboard and
    wondering if this current problem is not a power supply....

    ....or something else power related loose or failing, from the power switch
    to the board, from the power supply to the board, from the back of the
    machine to the wall, including a flaky UPS.....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 19, 2005