    numbers than the 3000.

    So what's the difference?

    William

    William R. Walsh, Oct 8, 2008

  2. William R. Walsh

    Ben Myers Guest

    The 2400 has a side panel with a curve in its front edge (matching curve in
    chassis) and an 845 chipset supporting 400 and 533MHz FSB.

    The 3000 has a rectangular side panel and an 865 chipset supporting 400, 533,
    and 800MHz FSB. Not sure if it supports hyperthreading or the newer Pentium D
    and Celeron D (Socket 478, of course).

    The Optiplex 170L motherboard is identical to the 3000 board, AFAIK. Different
    BIOS, of course.

    The Dimension 3000, like the 4600, came along relatively late in the life of
    Socket 478/DDR, and not as many were ever built.

    There was also a B110 with the same style of chassis, but I have never seen one.
    Not many were built.

    A Dimension 4600 board makes for a nice Dimension 3000 or 2400 upgrade, adding 2
    DIMM sockets and an AGP slot, with 865 chipset. Repaired a 3000 with a dead
    mobo recently by dropping in a 4600 board, which was all I had. Even Windows
    did not complain, because the major chipsets lined up perfectly. Owner got a
    nice memory upgrade, too, so he was ecstatic... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 8, 2008

  3. Hi!
    Interestingly, the OptiPlex 170L to which it is so closely related
    uses the curved panel and case. Amazing. (Also--surprising that the
    OptiPlex hasn't got the AGP slot...)

    The OptiPlex has a single SATA port and solder pads for another, while
    the Dim3000 has only solder pads for both SATA ports.
    The one on my bench has a Celeron D 330 in it.
    I've always wanted to ask someone I know (who definitely has the
    soldering skills to do it) if they'd populate the AGP slot on a
    Dim2400. Just for curiosity's sake.

    The motherboard on this system is healthy and happy--the hard drive is
    definitely not. I slapped it into one of the ever present and very
    handy Deskpro EN systems for a look at the SMART data and it was bad
    news.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Oct 8, 2008
  4. William R. Walsh

    Mike Marquis Guest

    How do you examine the SMART data on a hard drive?

    Mike

    Mike Marquis, Oct 8, 2008
  5. Hi!
    The SpeedFan tool can view SMART data, and it has a companion web site that
    will take your results and compare them against other drives.
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

    Gibson Research Corporation's SpinRite 6.0 tool can also display SMART data
    (if it knows the hardware address of the disk controller--which it may not
    on a SATA system!) as it tests a drive.

    HDAT2 can also do the job:
    http://www.hdat2.com/

    William

    William R. Walsh, Oct 10, 2008
  6. William R. Walsh

    Ben Myers Guest

    Dell did not go crazy on the Optiplexes with all the options typically found in
    the Dimension product line. After all, these are business computers. Actually,
    it looks like the 160L and 170L were budget-priced Optiplex models, so they
    would lack AGP slots like their Dimension counterparts.

    You're right about the SATA port on the 170L. I forgot about it. That makes it
    a tiny upgrade over its cousin Dimension 3000 mobo. I have to add another
    column to my chart to track presence of SATA connectors... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 10, 2008