Dimension 3000 (with 1704FPT) vs Dimension 5000 (with E137FP )

Discussion in 'Dell' started by scrompton, Jan 17, 2005.

  1. scrompton

    scrompton Guest

    Hi.

    I am helping to configure a machine for a friend who is on a budget.
    They are after a machine which will last them a few years (anyone have
    a crystal ball?). They have settled on the Dimension 5000 (3.0 GHz, 800
    MHz fsb 1MB cache) with a Dell E173FP 17" Value Flat Panel Monitor.

    However, how does this monitor compare with the Dell 1704FPT (17"
    UltraSharpTM Flat Panel Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand)?

    Should I instead be encouraging the Dimension 3000 (2.80GHz, 533fsb,
    1MB cache) with the better monitor? (this would be around the same
    price when equally configured elsewhere).

    They will not be using the machine for hardcore (3D) gaming. They will
    be using the machine for Digital Photography, Image manipulation, DV
    Editing, etc.

    Thanks.

    Steve.

    scrompton, Jan 17, 2005

  2. scrompton

    S.Lewis Guest

    I'd go with the 5000 based on performance and (possible) future upgrade
    path. Be sure to get a minimum 512mb of system RAM.

    Sorry, I can't comment on the monitors - but someone else in here surely
    can.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jan 17, 2005

  3. scrompton

    Pen Guest

    The 1704 is substantially better than the 173. I
    have 3 of them here and we love them.

    Pen, Jan 17, 2005