dimension 4100 -error beep codes: does anyone know what it means

Discussion in 'Dell' started by cyberstarone, Oct 5, 2006.

  1. cyberstarone

    cyberstarone Guest

    cyberstarone, Oct 5, 2006

  2. cyberstarone

    hdrdtd Guest

    It's better to take a look at the back of the case where you should be able
    to see 4 led's in a row.

    Make a note of what color each of them are, and look that combination up in
    the same document you posted a link to.

    hdrdtd, Oct 5, 2006

  3. like was suggested look on the back of the case for the 4 lights labeled
    abcd. they may be off or yellow or green. i suspect you will see yellow
    green yellow green (abcd). if so, re-seat the video card. by the way, 1
    long one short on other bios' also refers to video card problems.

    Christopher Muto, Oct 5, 2006
  4. cyberstarone

    cyberstarone Guest

    Thanks. As you can tell, this is an old computer. Those lights are not
    working for some reason.

    cyberstarone, Oct 5, 2006
  5. cyberstarone

    cyberstarone Guest

    Thanks. Like in my reply above, those lights are not operational.

    This has one long and3 short - what would that mean?

    Also, I upgraded to xp home and when I F8 I get a frozen DOS text menu.
    Can't go to Safe Mode; SO, I tried to "reinstall" XP Home, but if fails
    on the video.sys which would suggest what you said about the video -
    only I have 3 short after 1 long

    Agian, thanks.

    cyberstarone, Oct 5, 2006
  6. i typo'd in my previous reply. meant three beeps when i said one. in ami
    bios one long followed by three short is a video error. remove and replace
    the video card.
    but the abcd leds are more helpful in diagnosing a problem. watch them from
    power on to failure to see if they report any codes. when you first boot a
    system they should change many times before a successful boot. also, you
    can just try to reseat everything (processor, memory, video card, pci cards)
    and you can remove any usb devices which may be causing a boot problem. and
    try disconnecting the hard drive and boot from cd or floppy to help you
    identify the problem.

    Christopher Muto, Oct 6, 2006
  7. cyberstarone

    cyberstarone Guest

    Shoot, should I reply above or below with this group. :)

    Thanks. That helps very much. What you says goes with the video.sys
    error I get with reloading xp.

    cyberstarone, Oct 6, 2006
  8. cyberstarone

    paulmd Guest

    paulmd, Oct 6, 2006
  9. cyberstarone

    S.Lewis Guest

    I'm surprised he's getting no diag LED's in back if either of those have
    failed - unless the failure is due to a power event.

    S.Lewis, Oct 6, 2006
  10. cyberstarone

    paulmd Guest

    I don't like it either, But the fact that it IS beeping at all is
    encourging. Lots of people are red-green colorblind, and can't easily
    see the green and yellow LEDs.

    paulmd, Oct 7, 2006