    DVD drive and it wouldn't read anything at all (have it lying around
    somewhere in case anyone has any ideas on how to get these things working
    beyond wiping the lens with rubbing alcohol).

    news.rcn.com, Jun 24, 2006

  2. news.rcn.com

    S.Lewis Guest

    Hmm. Bad DVD read function on the drive?

    Anyway you can take the suspect drive and swap it into a system where the
    DVD works and vice-versa?

    S.Lewis, Jun 25, 2006

  3. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    Is this possible if the drive can read CDs? I THINK that the only other
    drive I have to try is one I took out of a computer originally because it
    didn't work at all. And I have another one which wont open at all. If you
    take it apart and force it, it might open but wont open thereafter. I was
    going to try opening up the drive to see if there was a gear broken or
    dislodged in it but don't see any real possibility of repairing these drives
    as I like tinkering but am not really a technician. Where is the read
    function, in the laser or somewhere on the circuitry divorced completely
    from the laser?

    news.rcn.com, Jun 25, 2006
  4. news.rcn.com

    S.Lewis Guest

    Yes. The optics for CD read and DVD read are separate. A drive can do one
    and fail performing the other.

    A new DVD combo drive (with CDRW capes) is like $30. A quality DVDRW which
    will do it all is less than $50.

    I was hoping you had another easily accessible DVD drive with which to do a
    quick swap/test.

    I'd simply replace the drive.

    S.Lewis, Jun 25, 2006
  5. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    Well curiously enough the dead cd-rw/dvd drive which I took out of my
    now-malfunctioning 8100 about six months ago has suddenly sprung to life as
    soon as i changed its jumpers from master to slave so I can probably try
    just that.

    Will report back and sling the drive away if necessary: I presume it cant be
    fixed and if the CD bit is working and the DVD bit isn't, this isn't the
    sort of thing which would spring to life in the future.

    news.rcn.com, Jun 25, 2006
  6. news.rcn.com

    Tom Scales Guest

    On a Dell (either 8100 or 4400), it shouldn't be set to Master OR Slave, it
    should be set to Cable Select.

    It also must be turned on in the BIOS

    Tom Scales, Jun 25, 2006
  7. news.rcn.com

    news.rcn.com Guest

    (somehow jumpering it to master on the secondary IDE does seem to work but
    when it stops, I will reset them to CS)

    news.rcn.com, Jun 25, 2006