    is there a service manual available??
    where are the pins that the on off switch connect to??
    thanks for your generous help and advice

    ray, Feb 20, 2004

  2. ray

    Michael Guest

    it can be your motherboard is it under warranty? if it is say your computer
    wont turn on and they will make you do stuff to see what the problem can be if
    its the power supply or motherboard. but dont tell them lighting did it gosh
    you have to pay for it

    Michael, Feb 20, 2004

  3. ray

    BigJIm Guest

    lighting is a funny thing we took a strike 100 feet from our home and it
    took out the modem.
    and a few other homes near by. The way it was explained to me is that the
    lighting goes in the ground and probably came in through the phone line in
    my case, probably in yours.
    call dell and just say it won't start and that is it.

    BigJIm, Feb 20, 2004
  4. ray

    S.Lewis Guest

    Try pulling the modem out of the system (first), and see if the machine will
    attempt boot....

    S.Lewis, Feb 20, 2004
  5. ray

    brane_ded Guest

    Hi,
    Remove all the PCI cards...and see if it powers-up.
    Very often the lightning will short a modem component.
    (Leave in AGP card)
    If it powers-up...start putting cards back one-at-a-time...powering-up each time.
    HTH

    brane_ded, Feb 20, 2004
  6. ray

    ray Guest

    pulled everything off the board and put a teseng pci vid card
    connected an old 540 meg hard drive, the new psu, reset cmos and
    nothing..system is dead....

    ray, Feb 20, 2004
  7. ray

    Gus Guest

    Sounds as though you have a choice to make - new motherboard or new
    computer. Good luck.

    Gus, Feb 22, 2004
  8. ray

    Pat Conover Guest

    ray, Call your insurance company ASAP. My paid for everything including a
    new phone system and TV I bought two days before my home office was struck
    by lightning. No problems from them at all, but a headache for me getting
    everything back to normal. HTH

    Pat Conover
    Remove *nospam* to e-mail me.
    *nospam*

    Pat Conover, Feb 22, 2004
  9. I don't suppose you had a UPS attached? Depending on the model used, most of
    the larger UPS manufacturers will cover (a portion of) equipment damage.

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Feb 22, 2004
  10. ray

    Pat Conover Guest

    Larry, I had *everything* except the dog on an UPS after I lost a hard drive
    years ago to a power blip. But trying to get anything out of Tripplight was
    itself a Trip! The insurance company covered everything, so I just gave up
    on their "Insurance". BTW, I replaced all the Tripplight UPS's with APC
    units, so take that Tripplight!

    Pat Conover
    Remove *nospam* to e-mail me.
    *nospam*