    monitor connected to the machine.

    Am I missing a connector somewhere, or is this just misconfigured?

    Thanks!

    William P.N. Smith, Oct 31, 2005

  2. William P.N. Smith

    Kevin Guest

    If the 4700 has a video card with a standard VGA and a digital DVI
    connector, it is capable of running two displays at the same time.

    Kevin, Oct 31, 2005

  3. Nope, it's the built-in video, and only has one connector on the back
    of the machine.

    William P.N. Smith, Oct 31, 2005
  4. It's possible the chipset is dual-head capable and Dell just cut
    corners by not including the 2nd connector.

    Another possibility is that the drivers and chipset allow for the
    addition of a PCI-E graphics card, at which point you'll have
    dual-head capabilities. (I think this is more likely.)

    Stuart Krivis, Oct 31, 2005
  5. William P.N. Smith

    Tom Scales Guest

    There's not an s-video port, is there?

    Tom Scales, Oct 31, 2005
  6. No, I poked around quite a bit, and there aren't any spare connectors
    inside or outside, nor are there pads where one might be soldered. I
    was hoping someone else with the same machine would be able to tell me
    if they are all like that...

    Thanks!

    William P.N. Smith, Nov 1, 2005
  7. Well, there is a PCIE card slot (and another PCIE 1x slot furthest
    from the CPU), but wouldn't that just add a separate graphics card?

    William P.N. Smith, Nov 1, 2005
  8. William P.N. Smith

    Jay B Guest

    i sold about 10 4700's in the past 3 mos,
    and always saw just a single headed vga connector and just deployed it
    like that. its quick enough for most general business use.

    one time someone wanted a better video card for it, and i sold them a
    chaintec pci 128mb card for about $70 and it performed extremely well. i
    got it at newegg. it was dual headed, but the user only wanted faster,
    not dual.
    hope this is helpful.

    Jay B, Nov 1, 2005
  9. William P.N. Smith

    Tom Scales Guest

    PCI or PCIe? The 4700 supports PCIe, doesn't it?

    Tom Scales, Nov 1, 2005
  10. Both, actually. It's got a couple of PCI slots and one long (16X?)
    PCIE slot and one short (1X) PCIE slot.

    This one came with an upgraded sound card in one PCI slot, we dropped
    an ATI All-In-Wonder PCI card in the other slot, and we were full!

    William P.N. Smith, Nov 2, 2005
  11. William P.N. Smith

    Jay B Guest

    yes it was the longer pcie slot