    can find any info about this Dimension 5000? I was no able to find any
    using Google.

    Thanks.

    Ponkan, Dec 13, 2004

  2. Christopher Muto, Dec 13, 2004

  3. Chris,
    I wasn't able to get to that link. It changed it to a support page that
    asked for your country of choice.
    Paul

    Paul Schilter, Dec 13, 2004
  4. Ponkan

    Pen Guest

    So did you click English?

    Pen, Dec 13, 2004
  5. alternatively you can just visit support.dell.com, log on, and instead of
    entering a tag number select 'dimension' then '5000'... as is often the
    case, they list the technical support information before they even begin to
    sell the machine... appears to be listed on north american and uk/europe
    support sites, but it is not listed for sale... did not look on their asian
    sites...

    Christopher Muto, Dec 14, 2004
  6. Ponkan

    Tom Almy Guest

    This looks like the new BTX style system (at least I would guess so,
    since I haven't seen the specs of BTX). The oposite side of the case
    opens up (the right side when viewed from the front, the case fan is at
    the front, it's a tool-free design, and *finally* comes with media card
    reader. It also weighs 4 more pounds!

    Tom Almy, Dec 14, 2004
  7. Ponkan

    sickboy2all Guest

    except for case design this dimension 5000 you speak of is most likely
    a 4700 which has been renamed for a different market. when dell moves
    it's pc product line forward they usually don't make leaps and bounds
    in the model name game. for instance the 4550 was replaced by the 4600
    a couple of years ago and now the 4600 is no longer in favor of the
    4700. so i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the 5000 since it will
    probably never appear(at least in name) on these shores. what you will
    most likely see is the same case design as the european 5000 on the
    current 4700 some time in the near future. in fact word has it dell
    will be changing there case design across the board. which in my
    opinion is not worth putting off your purchase if you want a computer
    now. also when shopping dell remember that there machines are highly
    configurable, so it pays to look at the model above and below the one
    your considering as you you may be able to get a lot more computer for
    a little more dough if you move up a little or just a bit less computer
    for alot less dough if you move down a little.

    sickboy2all, Dec 14, 2004
  8. Ponkan

    Tom Morton Guest

    If you look at the diagram of the motherboard it is BTX.

    Tom Morton, Dec 14, 2004
  9. Ponkan

    S.Lewis Guest

    Anyone got a link to the 5000?

    The Dim8400 and 4700 are both BTX (and LGA775/SocketT). Not sure, but it
    would appear that the 4700C is also.

    Since I've not handled any homebuilt BTX systems, I assume this is the new
    standard and hopefully these new Dell power supplies won't be proprietary
    either (like their latter ATX systems).

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 14, 2004
  10. Ponkan

    Tom Morton Guest

  11. Ponkan

    Tom Morton Guest

    The 8400 and 4700 use ATX motherboards . The 5000 is the first to use a true
    BTX motherboard.

    Tom Morton, Dec 14, 2004
  12. Ponkan

    Pen Guest

    The 5000 drops rear panel PS2 support for the Keyboard and Mouse
    although there is a mobo connector for PS2.
    The PCI is 2.3 instead of 2.2 and the floppy disk is USB
    as it lives in the same space as the media card reader
    would go. It's one or the other.
    The case is noticeably larger than the 4700.

    Pen, Dec 14, 2004
  13. Ponkan

    Tom Almy Guest

    In that case, what is BTX? The internal layout of the 8400 looks
    identical to my older 8300 and 8200 and they certainly are not BTX.
    OTOH, the 5000 has a totally different internal layout.
    the > new standard and hopefully these new Dell power supplies won't be
    Dell hasn't used proprietary connectors and form factors in their tower
    cases in over three years. The small desktop (Dimensions with "S" at the
    end) and small form factor (those with "C" at the end) cases are the
    exception.

    Tom Almy, Dec 15, 2004
  14. Ponkan

    Tom Almy Guest

    Please look at the reference
    http://premiersupport.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5000/

    The internal layout and motherboard are completely different designs.
    Since the docs are available at the US site, expect the 5000 to be
    released here in the next week or two.

    Tom Almy, Dec 15, 2004
  15. Ponkan

    Tom Morton Guest