    transferred and burned to DVD.

    If I have to get a new card reader - how can I get one that has a cable
    that will fit the proprietary Dell header on the main board?

    Justin, Dec 30, 2009

  2. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Yes, MCE was reloaded onto the machine.
    After that point I am unable to read card greater than 4GB whereas
    previously I was.

    Yes, I ran windows update until all the drivers were installed. SP3 is
    confirmed to be installed.

    Justin, Dec 30, 2009

  3. Justin

    WSZsr Guest

    Did you install the chipset software? It is not available from Windows
    update.

    WSZsr, Dec 30, 2009
  4. Justin

    Ben Myers Guest

    I have run into similar limits with various readers. My suggestion is
    to get one of the cheap little external USB devices that hold an SD
    card. I got one with a SanDisk 8GB SD on eBay, and it works fine for
    offloading stuff from my camera... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 30, 2009
  5. Justin

    Ben Myers Guest

    Did you install the motherboard chipset driver FIRST after re-installing
    MCE, then the driver for the reader??? The order of installation of
    drivers is critical to get a fully functioning system... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 30, 2009
  6. Hi!
    SP3 doesn't include every hotfix that Microsoft released prior to the
    service pack itself.

    You can install older hotfixes by changing the registry key that
    reports the Windows service pack version. This approach should be used
    with caution, as you can cause problems by using it.

    If my memory is correct, look in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows with the
    registry editor and change the value of the CSDVersion key from
    "300" (indicates SP3) to "200" (indicates SP2).

    Then you can install your hotfix and see if it helps. It's quicker
    than uninstalling SP3...

    William

    William R. Walsh, Dec 30, 2009
  7. Yes - that was one of the first things I installed.

    Father Justin, Dec 30, 2009
  8. Oh Jesus Christ...
    Yes, the chipset was installed way before I discovered the card reader
    wasn't working.
    Is it just me of is MCE buggy?

    Father Justin, Dec 30, 2009
  9. Justin

    WSZsr Guest

    It is just you.....

    WSZsr, Dec 30, 2009
  10. Justin

    Paul-J Guest

    May I jump in here?
    I am using a similar Dimension.
    For a couple of month ago, I had to do a clean install with XP, sp3, and all my
    favourite apps.
    It was working from start, -so I forgot everything about drivers. besides Nvidia of
    course.
    Well - there is a minor problem:
    From time to time, the flashcard reader is dead: but I can fix that by restarting XP.

    My question is: should I reinstall all drivers on top of this system in the right order,
    or do I have to do a clean-install again???

    Paul-J, Dec 31, 2009
  11. What do I do with the piece of shit in the PC currently? Just let it
    sit there? I don't have a plastic piece to put in there once its
    removed - there will be a gaping hole in the front.

    My problem is, it was working before the rebuild.
    Now it isn't.

    Father Justin, Dec 31, 2009
  12. What the hell?
    **** you.
    I was being perfectly nice and I don't see the need to say thanks every
    other post and kiss ass.
    I asked a question and people responded, I certainly didn't act mean or
    unappreciative.
    Feel free to piss off.
    and **** you again. You're the kind of person who ruined usenet. At
    one point in time people on here used to help each other and that was
    that. You however expect everyone to kiss your sorry fat ass.
    Just shut up and stop posting, I don't need your help.
    This only applies to the almighty master of everything "Chris Muto."
    Are you related to Kuato?

    Father Justin, Dec 31, 2009
  13. Interesting.
    So installing SP3 could actually prevent the installation of the hotfix
    that would potentially solve the problem.
    I had to give the machine back to the client... I will probably ask the
    client o uninstall SP3 and then install the hotfix - it would be easier
    for him to do that than trudge through the registry editor.
    Since Chris bit my head off for bnot being nice, I would like to thank
    you, your family and bless you in the name of Father, son and holy
    binary spirit. May the yEnc Lord be with you.
    So say we all.

    Father Justin, Dec 31, 2009
  14. Hi!
    Yep. And Microsoft may or may not issue an updated hotfix for any
    issue not corrected in SP3.

    I'd been there with the UAA/HD audio stuff, which came in the form of
    a hotfix for XP SP2 only. This creates an "interesting" situation, and
    that is where I learned of the trick to make Windows temporarily
    report the "wrong" version number to let hotfixes install. (There are
    people who claim the UAA audio bus stuff comes with SP3, but I don't
    think it does.)

    Microsoft has since released a hotfix for UAA on SP3.
    That's a new one on me! :)

    I hope it works out one way or another. Since the computer obviously
    could read those cards at one time, it should be able to read them
    again. Anyway, have a happy new year. I would like to know if you get
    it fixed, so post back here with the results.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Dec 31, 2009
  15. Good.
    I don't need your help anyway.
    The others who responded seem to know what they're doing alot better
    than you.
    You're the kind ofperson who make people hate IT.

    Father Justin, Dec 31, 2009
  16. I thought you plonked me?
    You dug your own hole, jackass. Are you one of those people who thinks
    everyone likes him?

    Father Justin, Dec 31, 2009
  17. sometimes my temper gets the better of me.
    But I have been in the IT bis since 2000 - and its people like him that
    give us a bad name. Because of him, nobody wants to call IT because of
    reactions just like that.

    Father Justin, Dec 31, 2009
  18. You need to check your killfile capability. I can help you fix it, if
    you like.
    I chose the wrong way *towards you* - everyone else in this thread
    behaved like an adult.
    Now killfile me and be done wit it.
    C'mon! plonk... plonk! PLONK!

    Father Justin, Dec 31, 2009
  19. Justin

    WSZsr Guest

    You're really a piece of work....... We don't need your kind of trash here.

    WSZsr, Dec 31, 2009
  20. Yeah, telling off an asshole - boy I'm evil.
    You need me more than I need you.
    Enlighten me, what did I do to piss off that jackass?
    Usually people like him don't have the skillset needed to accell at
    their jobs - so they make up for it by being a jerk.

    Father Justin, Dec 31, 2009