Dimension 8300 - Cannot Get into Standby Mode

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Charliec, Aug 24, 2005.

  1. Charliec

    Charliec Guest

    I know there has been some discussion on this issue and I have Googled the
    subject matter, but have not found a solution yet. When I attempt to go
    into Standby Mode, I get the message:

    The device driver for the "Dell Enhanced Quietkey PS2 with Dell Touch"
    device is preventing the machine from entering Standby.

    I downloaded and installed the latest driver from the Dell Web Site for the
    Keyboard, but the error is still present.

    My system configuration is:
    Dim 8300 3.0GHz, 1GB Ram, 120GB Serial ATA Harddrive, 3.5 Floppy
    Window XP Home, SP2 and all current updates
    Dell 1901FP Digital Flat Panel
    128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800
    External USB 80GB harddrive
    Omega 250 USB Zip Drive
    Dell Optical Mouse
    Dell Enhanced Quietkey PS2 Keyboard
    48X Max CD-RW
    9X DVD+R/RW CD-RW
    SoundBlaster Live with 5.1 support
    Epson 1200U Flat Bed Scanner
    HP Laserjet 3100 Printer (Parallel)
    HP Officejet d145 Printer (USB)

    Anyone with thoughts on how to resolve this problem? I can post more
    information if needed. Thanks for any insights and/or tips.
    Charlie
    Charliec

    Charliec, Aug 24, 2005

  2. Charliec

    RRR_News Guest

    There may be a problem with a driver file for Adobe Acrobat, PDF reader based on what is posted here, near the bottom of the page:
    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfo..._input&message.id=12098&c=us&l=en&cs=19&s=dhs

    You may have to reinstall Adobe Acrobat. Try first updating to the current version, which is 7.02, I think. If that fails, you may have to go the reinstallation route as follows.
    1. I would first uninstall the version that you have on your PC, if you have the free version.
    a. That also includes the Photo program that was available with the reader download.
    2. Reboot PC.
    3. When that is done, go to C:\Program Files\Adobe, and delete this folder and contents.
    4. Then go to www.adobe.com, and install Adobe Acrobat again.
    5. Reboot PC.
    6
    Try to put PC into Standby.

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    RRR_News, Aug 24, 2005

  3. Charliec

    Charliec Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I only have Acrobat Reader installed. Is that the
    portion you are referring to? Thanks
    Charliec

    Charliec, Aug 24, 2005
  4. Charliec

    Charliec Guest

    Also, what I have installed from Adobe is;
    Adobe Download Manager
    Adobe Type Manager
    PhotoDeluxe Business Edition 1.0
    PrintMe Internet Printing
    Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 Starter Edition

    Any thoughts on these?
    Thanks
    Charliec

    Charliec, Aug 24, 2005
  5. Charliec

    RRR_News Guest

    Is the Adobe Type Manager, version 4? If so the article says to delete it. Check by doing a search checking for hidden and protected files on PC, see if you have the following file:
    Atmhelpr.sys

    One (1) of the programs that you have listed may have added this file, since it is not on mine, using just the free *.PDF reader, Adobe installs Adobe Type Manager version 2.0 onto PC.

    There may be a problem with a driver file for Adobe Acrobat, PDF reader based on what is posted here, near the bottom of the page:
    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfo..._input&message.id=12098&c=us&l=en&cs=19&s=dhs

    NO STANDBY IN WINDOWS XP CAUSED BY ADOBE 4.0 -
    The error is, "The device driver for the keyboard device is preventing the machine from entering sleep mode. Please close all applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver." This is caused by the Atmhelpr.sys driver which is loaded by Adobe Type Manager version 4.0. Remove Adobe Type Manager from the system

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    RRR_News, Aug 24, 2005
  6. Charliec

    Charliec Guest

    Thanks,
    I will look into that and remove Adobe Type Manager as I never use it.
    Charlie
    Charliec

    Charliec, Aug 24, 2005
  7. Charliec

    Charliec Guest

    Ok, I removed Adobe Type Manager and that cured the problem. I can now go
    into Standby.

    A quick question, is there any recommended Maximum time that one should
    leave a machine in Standby or can you leave it in Standby as long as you
    want, say overnight?
    Thanks
    Charlie
    Charliec

    Charliec, Aug 24, 2005
  8. Charliec

    Tom Scales Guest

    We put my wife's machine into Standby every night, as it is in our bedroom.
    We've left it in Standby, flawlessly, for as long as a week. Your risk is a
    power failure. Save your work before you go into standby.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 24, 2005
  9. Charliec

    RRR_News Guest

    Charliec,
    Standby overnight should be fine. I would still have the monitor shut off after be idle for a period of time, through the power saving settings.
    1. If you decide to be away from the PC a longer time such as vacation or long business trip, I would consider turning off PC & monitor, before leaving.
    2. If you know that storms are coming into your area during the night, use the same regiment you did when you did not put PC in standby. I personally turn off my PC when storms come through my area, since I live in an older apt. bldg, and not sure of the building's grounding capabilities.
    3. There is a chance, say if you run an AV, backup, download updates program during the night, that your PC can lock up, and that you may need to manually reboot PC. But you can make changes in the Schedule Tasks manager to correct this problem, in most cases.

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    RRR_News, Aug 24, 2005
  10. Charliec

    Charliec Guest

    Thanks all for you input. I'm good to go now - I'm thinking of using
    standby for a couple of hours here and there when it's hot out and the fans
    get a bit noisy. I turn the PC off each night and never leave it on during
    vacations or anything like that. Thanks again.
    Charlie
    Charliec

    Charliec, Aug 24, 2005
  11. Charliec

    S.Lewis Guest

    Nice call, Rich. I learned something from this.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 24, 2005
  12. Charliec

    RRR_News Guest