Dimension 8400 fan goes nuts

Discussion in 'Dell' started by max_ludz, Sep 13, 2004.

  1. max_ludz

    max_ludz Guest

    Dimension 8400 fan goes nuts

    Hello Everyone,

    I purchased a Dimension 8400 in the beginning of August.

    Yesterday, pressed the on button, the Dell started with
    the usual power up. Both CD bays flashed as if they were being detected
    by the bios, then the lights went off. Usually, the harddrive light
    appears to flash, yesterday it didn't. Instead of going through
    the rest of the boot sequence the fan in the back of the computer kick on.

    The fan was getting louder and louder blowing so hard I could feel the
    air blowing off the back wall in my seat across from the desk.

    I've never seen this before. This appears to me to
    be a system board problem. Can't access the bios, so
    I really feel lost.

    I tried turing the Dell off, then waiting 10 minutes. Then
    turned the it back on again. Uplugged the power (with of power off)
    and tried several hours later and got the same results.

    Thought I'd check with the group for answers before I surf the menu
    system trying to get tech support.

    Thanks,
    Max

    max_ludz, Sep 13, 2004

  2. max_ludz

    David Casey Guest

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:06:14 -0400, max_ludz<nospam> wrote:

    [snip!]
    That is strange. You said you can't get into the BIOS, does this also mean
    you can't get to a working desktop? If your machine won't even boot up,
    call technical support now and get a new one on the way.

    I've had my system opened up and checked out the heatsink over the CPU and
    the only fan I saw was the one which was right on the back of the machine.
    When running the Dell diagnostics it runs the fan up to 100% for a bit and
    wow, did that think make some noise. Now the fan is supposed to rev up as
    the heat grows from your CPU so maybe the CPU heatsink was installed wrong
    or whatever Dell uses to mate the heatsink and the top of the CPU finally
    stopped doing its thing so the CPU is running hotter and hotter.

    Honestly, no idea I'm just throwing out some stuff that comes to mind
    should that have happened to my 8400.

    Good luck getting it fixed and let us know what it turned out to be if Dell
    doesn't just send you a new system right away.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

    David Casey, Sep 13, 2004

  3. max_ludz

    S.Lewis Guest

    Call tech support immediately. I'd suspect the system board as well. As a
    preliminary troubleshooting tool, I'd also try powering the system up with
    the CPU fan unplugged from the motherboard.

    I have seen this model fan cause a no POST situation such as yours on the
    8400.

    Post back and good luck,

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Sep 14, 2004
  4. max_ludz

    max_ludz Guest

    Thanks for the input...

    Yes, it is the system board!

    I called Dell Tech Support Today.

    I explained to the support person.
    The sequence:

    - CDROM lights flash on then off.
    - Usually at this point the harddrive light flashes
    - Nothing happens with the harddrive then the CPU fan
    begins to accelerate to it's maximum speed. Even the
    support person was suprised how loud the CPU fan was (he could
    hear the fan over phone)...

    So his support questions went as followed:

    - He ask if the A - B - C - D lights flashed on the back
    panel, no lights.

    - We the started dissembling the case the unplug the
    power to the CPU fan. Power on - Pressed
    the ON - nothing happened.

    - Plugged the CPU power back on, then removed
    the memory, power on - no bios beeps, so the memory
    wasn't bad.

    - Removed the rest of the cards (video - sound), then
    powered up and the same as I first mentioned (CDROM light flash then
    CPU fan goes nuts. No post errors.

    - The final solution a local PC-OnCall will be contacting
    me to install a new system board - CPU and CPU fan.

    I hope this resolves the solution...

    Thanks for the quick response from David and Stew,
    Max_Ludz

    max_ludz, Sep 15, 2004
  5. max_ludz

    Randy O Guest

    Hi Max,
    I just got the 8400 the other day. Same situation as you. Tech I
    spoke to before I read your post in the newsgroup is only sending CPU
    fan and video card. System board was not brought up.
    Is your problem solved with replacing the system board? What was
    the outcome?

    Randy O, Sep 26, 2004
  6. max_ludz

    dhsa Guest

    Same thing here, on boot fan goes nuts and no display. Upgraded Bios t
    A01, A02 version and problem got worse. It used to do this 50% of th
    time now is 100% of the time. If I cut power and boot up second time
    works fine. Called tech support couple weeks ago, and they said it wa
    corrupt operating system (yeah ok, thats why I don't even see a Bio
    screen). So they obviously don't know what's going on. Waiting fo
    others users to call Dell with same problem and Dell figuring ou
    what's wrong before I press the issue with Dell tech support. Randy
    Max....Could you please post the results of the CPU and/or motherboar
    replacement by Dell, did it solve the problem, thanks

    dhsa, Nov 16, 2004
  7. max_ludz

    Henning Guest

    You'll have to replace the heatsink, not the mainboard or cpu.
    Wellknown problem :) The pipes are leaking the cooling-liquid and
    doesnt work anymore.

    Henning, Nov 17, 2004
  8. max_ludz

    Henning Guest

    Defective CPU due to broken heatsink.

    Henning, Nov 17, 2004
  9. max_ludz

    dhsa Guest

    Henning,

    Thanks for the reply... Is that what Dell performed on your system?
    don't think that's the problem. If the heatsink was defective, the CP
    would heat up and making the fan go faster when running CPU intensiv
    taks, or the computer would shut down to protect the CPU. You sai
    defective heatsink and defective CPU. CPU damaged due to heatsink? O
    both defective from start? Thanks

    dhsa, Nov 17, 2004
  10. max_ludz

    S.Lewis Guest

    An 8400 owner has said that a new flashBIOS version (A03) on the Dell
    website addressed his fan problems.

    If that's no help, then I'd inspect the heatsink for damage or poor seating.

    And if that checks okay, then I'd look at fan replacement. Lastly, I'd
    suspect a faulty system board.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 17, 2004
  11. max_ludz

    John Guest

    A03 made no difference to me. Still a leaf blower.

    I'm waiting for Dell to get back to me.

    Has anyone any experience of shipping PCs to Dell? What I'm really
    interested in is if it's OK to remove the HDD beforehand.

    I don't have onsite (and don't want it really) service.

    John, Nov 17, 2004
  12. max_ludz

    dhsa Guest

    Installed Bios update A03, seems to have solved it. I also messed wit
    Bios settings regarding power conservation, to conserve less power i
    all settings. Don't know which change affected fan problems. If yo
    look at Bios revisions A03 had, number 9 is "Improved fan diagnostic
    interface", seems to be what the problem is. My guess is Bios check
    fan to see if it's working. There is an error in diagnostic code an
    fan goes nuts. Bios sees this as a fan failure and stops boot. On
    thing is clear, Dell has no clue what the problem is, they're jus
    shooting blind. I had the same problem with my Dell laptop monitor no
    shutting off when lid was closed. They tried everything, includin
    motherboard change, did not solve it. So I gave up calling and sendin
    my PC to them. In the end, a bios upgrade and a new version of window
    fixed it.

    John, I sent my laptop to them for the above problem a year ago. Yo
    can, and they insist, that you remove the hard disk drive. They wil
    not assume responsibilty for information on your hard drive

    dhsa, Nov 21, 2004
  13. max_ludz

    John Guest

    Thanks :)

    Yeah, Dell emailed and have confirmed I may remove it.

    John, Nov 21, 2004
  14. max_ludz

    tellme Guest

    It is a heat sink problem. There are many articles on the net
    regarding this.
    Dell techs are for the most part great but then... I just got one
    regarding my Cd-rwdvd writer and he didn't have a clue there were any
    problems with them. I told him go read the Dell forum then get back to
    me after he got some education.

    tellme, Nov 22, 2004
  15. max_ludz

    dhsa Guest

    Heat sink problem? Could you post the links to the articles you
    referring to. If it's indeed a heat sink problem, then why doesn't th
    computer act up during normal use

    dhsa, Nov 23, 2004
  16. max_ludz

    dhsa Guest

    Just got hit again with the leafblower, back to square one. Thank
    Tellme, just figured out Dell has a forum, pretty useless though. Thei
    search is awfull, and Dell forums don't show up on google. Besides ther
    is no thread on 8400 fan going nuts, will start one myself. I agree tha
    Dell tech support should be given a basic education on computers, rathe
    than put in front of a telephone with a checklist. And they probabl
    don't keep track of people who called with the same problem. I'm sure
    wasn't the only person to have called them about the 8400 fan, but the
    still claim of never hearing the problem

    dhsa, Nov 23, 2004
  17. max_ludz

    dhsa Guest

    It seems to be the power conservation settings in the BIOS. I kee
    getting fanblower with conserver power settings, fine with don'
    conserve power settings. Set all the power conservation setting in BIO
    to not conserve power. There are two settings that you have to change
    I'm using A03 version of BIOS. Please reply if this has fixed you
    problem. Thank

    dhsa, Dec 1, 2004
  18. max_ludz

    S.Lewis Guest

    Interesting information. Let's hope others can confirm. Thanks for
    posting.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 1, 2004
  19. max_ludz

    dhsa Guest

    The settings are located in Power Management section of BIOS.
    Use following settings

    -Low Power Mode=OFF
    -Suspend Mode=S1

    Go through 2 startup and shutdown procedures, problem should be fixed
    Haven't had a leafblower since I have made these settings (knock o
    wood). Hope everyone has the same success. If your having leafblowe
    problems, what were the above settings you had in your BIOS

    dhsa, Dec 3, 2004
  20. max_ludz

    dhsa Guest

    2 weeks straight since BIOS settings !!!, not one leafblower, hop
    everyone else is having the same result

    dhsa, Dec 16, 2004