Direct 3D Problem: ATI Radeon 9600 / Aopen ax4spe motherboard

Discussion in 'ATI' started by M.D., Oct 20, 2003.

  1. M.D.

    M.D. Guest

    I just upgraded by moving my XP professional drives to a new system
    I've built (specs below). The DXDiag tests for Direct 3D all fail. I
    never see the test graphics. Also, if it wasn't for the "recover"
    feature in the Radeon catalyst driver, I suspect I'd need to reboot.
    There's not a nice error code - instead, the display snaps down to
    640x480 and the display driver notifies me that "very bad things"
    happened. My test game was Dungeon Siege. It crashes soon after
    to launch it.

    I've double-checked, and I believe everything has the latest drivers,
    bios, and DirectX. But, to be honest, I'm starting to think it's OS
    related since I had some problems with my old system (that previously
    had this XP installation). That was a Geforce 3 card, and I assumed
    my problems were related to old hardware.

    One odd note, this article on ATI tweaking says the AGP mem tester
    from Nvidia should report the correct amount of AGP ram. But I get
    zero... A few system tools also reported this (erroneously).

    http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/radeon/index.shtml

    Also, if I enable "fast write", the display will go black after XP
    boots up. Sometimes, I get a 640x480 screen that's corrupted.
    Restarting
    with the last known good configuration fixes it. Also, DxDiag says
    "AGP Texture Acceleration" is unavailable - I'm not sure why... And
    I'm not overclocking anything (yet).

    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

    Mike

    MY SYSTEM SPECS

    General:
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.34 GHz
    Graphics Card: RADEON 9600 SERIES 256 MB AGP
    Total Physical Memory: 1 GB

    Motherboard:
    Manufacturer: AOpen
    Model: AX4SPE Max
    Version: 918AT10501
    BIOS Vendor: Phoenix/Award Technologies, LTD
    BIOS Version: AOpen - 42302e31
    BIOS Release Date: 06/08/03
    BIOS Properties: Plug and Play, Flash, AGP

    Display Driver:
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Name: RADEON 9600 SERIES
    Total Local Video Memory: 256 MB
    Total Local Texture Memory: 256 MB
    Total AGP Memory: 0 bytes **** Wrong ****
    Display Driver: ati2dvag.dll
    Display Driver Version: 6.14.10.6387

    Drives:
    Boot Drive: 56GB (23 GB Free)
    Secondary drive: 75GB (38 GB Free)

    Particulars from DxDiag:

    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service
    Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.030422-1633)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: AOPEN_
    System Model: AWRDACPI
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Page File: 262MB used, 2201MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0902 32bit Unicode

    ------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
    DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
    Display Tab 1: No problems found. DirectDraw test results: All
    tests were successful. Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 32
    (User verification of Direct3D rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error
    code) Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 32 (User verification
    of Direct3D rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code) Direct3D 9
    test results: Failure at step 32 (User verification of Direct3D
    rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 3: No problems found.
    Music Tab: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.
    Network Tab: No problems found.

    --------------------
    DirectX Debug Levels
    --------------------
    Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
    DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
    DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

    ---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: RADEON 9600 SERIES
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: RADEON 9600 Series AGP (0x4150)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4150&SUBSYS_2070148C&REV_00
    Display Memory: 256.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 960 (16 bit) (75Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6387 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 9/12/2003 22:43:24, 372736 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 9/12/2003 22:43:04, 611328 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-0210-11CF-CF6F-7A00A1C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x1002
    Device ID: 0x4150
    SubSys ID: 0x2070148C
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    Video Accel:
    Deinterlace Caps: n/a
    Registry: OK
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Not Available
    DDraw Test Result: All tests were successful.
    D3D7 Test Result: Failure at step 32 (User verification of Direct3D
    rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
    D3D8 Test Result: Failure at step 32 (User verification of Direct3D
    rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
    D3D9 Test Result: Failure at step 32 (User verification of Direct3D
    rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)

    M.D., Oct 20, 2003

  2. M.D.

    JAD Guest

    Are you saying you upgraded the MB and CPU and chipset and then just transferred the HD over to that system? Were the components
    even remotely the same? This is not good practice if you want a stable machine. Sure it could work, but the sign that yet another
    one as gone belly up, is when you come here. A 'repair' install would be the best way from here. I absolute opinion...of course

    JAD, Oct 20, 2003

  3. M.D.

    Skid Guest

    transferred the HD over to that system? Were the components
    machine. Sure it could work, but the sign that yet another
    the best way from here. I absolute opinion...of course
    I think that's good advice, but I'd take it even farther. The presence of
    old and mismatched drivers for the mobo chipset and video card is going to
    be a problem until they are scrubbed.

    Back up everything you want to keep right now and bite the bullet. Do a
    complete fdisk, format and reinstall of windows and reload the latest
    drivers for all the hardware.

    It takes time and it's a pain to reconfigure all your settings and restore
    all your apps, but in the long run you'll have a lot less troubleshooting to
    do.

    Skid, Oct 20, 2003
  4. M.D.

    M.D. Guest

    I re-double-checked everything and it turned out that I needed to
    apply the latest AGP chipset drivers for my motherboard. In my case,
    it was the Intel driver. I did my best to completely uninstall my
    previous video drivers, applied the Intel chipset driver, and then
    finally the ATI driver.

    After a few painful gyrations, my card passes all the Direct 3D tests
    and it appears to be working!

    Also, a repair installation is the procedure I followed before booting
    the system the first time. It worked fine. And things are quite
    stable.

    Thanks.

    M.D., Oct 20, 2003