Directory Synching, MacBook Air <=> MacBook Pro ?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by AES, Sep 15, 2011.

  1. AES

    AES Guest

    Ideas on synching selected (large) directories between a MacBook Pro
    and a MacBook Air? -- especially from the Pro to the Air? Possible
    methods mentioned thus far include:

    1) Use DirSynch Pro (or something similar) to synch from the Pro to a
    thumb drive, then a separate instance of DirSynch Pro on the Air to
    synch from the thumb to the Air.

    --Problem: In addition to being a two-step process (4 steps needed
    for birdirectional synching), transfers to the thumb drive can be very
    slow for large (multiple GB) directories, even with "smart update"
    synching. (Might use an SD card instead, since both machines have a
    slot.)

    2) Synch over an Airport LAN connection?

    --Don't know how to do this: what software needed, what permissions
    settings required on the two machines (especially the target machine).
    (Don't want to leave all the files in these directories carrying black
    warning bars across the top.)

    3) Other approaches? Connecting the two machines via USB an option?

    AES, Sep 15, 2011

  2. AES

    Wes Groleau Guest

    How large? Two GB or less, a free Dropbox account (or similar service).

    Larger, same answer except now you pay.

    That's if you'd rather not take the time to learn something
    more complicated. If you like to learn and have the time,
    rsync

    Wes Groleau, Sep 16, 2011

  3. Something has to "take charge" of the data and determine who has the
    master copy. I've been in situations where one side of a bisyncronous
    copy got corrupted and ended up corrupting the other copy. The only way
    I see around this is to designate one system the "master" of the data
    and either push or pull updates of that data.

    However you do the physical update, one of the sets of data has to be
    the master (USB manual copy, networked folders in /public on one
    machine, or some other way). Any other way and you'll be in trouble.

    Michael Vilain, Sep 16, 2011
  4. That's also a good choice if you'd rather have the syncing just be
    automatic, syncing data any time changes occur. Or if you want to sync
    between computers that aren't easily accessible to each other via rsync.

    Tom Harrington, Sep 16, 2011
  5. AES

    Paul Sture Guest

    If you do try rsync, don't forget the --dry-run option.

    -n, --dry-run
    This tells rsync to not do any file transfers, instead it will
    just report the actions it would have taken.

    Paul Sture, Sep 17, 2011
  6. AES

    Thom Rosario Guest

    You could try Unison. It's open source and free and has a (sort of
    rough) GUI app available.

    It can sync over the internet via ssh if you prefer, over a local
    network, or even on the same machine. It's very similar to rsync, but
    has a few more options that I needed for a previous job; I can't
    remember the specifics, though.

    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

    Thom Rosario, Sep 19, 2011