    patches; are there any new ones causing problems?

    Thanks,
    QZ

    QZ, Aug 21, 2004

  2. QZ

    QZ Guest

    Actually, there are only 3 DirectDraw tests, and the last, the full screen
    test, fails.
    Also, the desktop is cut off at the bottom, and it appears at the top.
    I did some reading about others with Directx problems, would you recommend
    DX9.0a? Is there a DX9.0?
    I already tried two Radeon drivers, the latest ones twice.

    Thanks,
    QZ

    QZ, Aug 22, 2004

  3. QZ

    Paul Guest

    Are you exceeding the capabilities of your monitor ? For example,
    setting the refresh rate to 150Hz or something ?

    Does it look like a monitor type problem, or a video card type
    problem ?

    For the test that fails, what is the error message ?

    If you run a game or attempt to use 3DMark, are there
    any other error messages ?

    If you cannot figure it out, send the card back and have
    your vendor test it. Better than being stuck with a card
    you aren't sure about.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 22, 2004
  4. QZ

    Chastiza Guest

    had same problems, and with direct sound. I reinstalled DirectX 9.0b and
    solved the issue.

    Chastiza, Aug 22, 2004
  5. QZ

    QZ Guest

    No, I have an LCD connected with DVI, it was automatically set to the
    optimal setting of 1280x1024 60Hz. I knew that it could also be set at 75Hz,
    according to the LCD instructions, but the video card panel claimed that
    only 70Hz was also available, so I didn't change it at first. But today, I
    thought 70Hz is still within spec, so I tried it and now the tests pass. I
    then changed it to 75Hz, because that is what it is suppossed to be.

    But, the screen is still getting cut off, sometimes when I reboot. The BIOS
    and Windows loading screens look to be correct, but its difficult to tell.
    However, the Windows welcome screen has horizontal lines that appear to be
    equidistant from the top and bottom; so if it is only once I get to the
    desktop, if must be a driver issue, correct? Is this most likely a DX issue?
    Any advice?

    Thanks,
    QZ

    QZ, Aug 22, 2004
  6. QZ

    QZ Guest

    I tried DX 9.0c and Viewsonic Unsigned Monitor INFs and no combination
    works.

    Here is what I did notice, the BIOS menus and loading screen look fine, it
    is the Windows loading screen where the screen gets slightly cut off at the
    bottom and ghosted at the top. After a driver change and reboot, the screen
    is always corrected, it is one, or at most two, reboots later that the
    problem occurs again.

    Also, I looked into my LCD's menu. When I select 'Auto Image Adjust' it
    doesn't do anything, that tells me that the video card is sending a correct
    screen, and the LCD doesn't see its own fault and doesn't adjust it.

    Also, when I change the LCD's input mode from Digital to Analog, seeing as
    there is no Analog connection, the screen goes blank and then switches back
    to a corrected Digital Screen. The LCD re-initializing the input is
    correcting it.

    I will have to power off the PC and try the Analog input tommorow, my guess
    is that it will work, but if it doesn't, does anyone else have a clue?

    Thanks,
    QZ

    QZ, Aug 23, 2004
  7. QZ

    QZ Guest

    It appears as thought I have solved the problem; I turned off 'fast writes'
    in the Radeon settings, and so far it has rebooted four times and the
    desktop is fine, previously it was a maximum of two times. I read a thread
    in the ATI NG from two days ago, and it seems it doesn't worsen video, but
    can cure problems turning it off; what does 'fast writes' do anyway?

    QZ, Aug 23, 2004
  8. QZ

    Paul Guest

    From the AGP20 spec (no longer available from Intel, because they
    are idiots...) -

    "The other enhancement to the PCI protocol is the acceleration
    of memory write transactions from the corelogic to the A.G.P.
    master device acting like a PCI target. This is called fast
    write (FW). When the FW protocol is enabled, the PCI write data
    target at the A.G.P. master transfers at the same rate as the
    A.G.P. data transfers. PCI memory write targeted at the corelogic
    from the A.G.P. master transfers at the PCI data rate. FW flow
    control is more like A.G.P. than PCI. See Section 3.5.2.2.2 for
    details."

    The AGP slot uses a combination of protocols. There are transfers
    via AGP protocol, at up to 8X. There are transfers that use PCI
    like protocols at 66MHz. I think what they are saying above, is
    when FW is enabled, the data burst gets sent on the bus at 8X
    instead of the normal 1X rate. it is like DDR memory, in the sense
    that DDR transfers two data chunks per clock, whereas in this case
    the FW PCI protocol can transfer eight chunks in one clock.

    Now, on the surface of it, that suggests a huge speedup. To
    really understand what happens, you would need to know how large
    the typical FW PCI transaction is - it is quite likely pretty
    short, so there might not be that much performance gained with
    the protocol enabled. If you run 3DMark, you can bench this
    for yourself, and tell us how much difference it makes :)

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 23, 2004
  9. QZ

    QZ Guest

    I still have the AGP at 8X. I think these two settings are independant of
    one another, because AGP speed has choices of 'off', 1X and 2X are greyed
    out, and then 4X and 8X. I don't fully understand how the video card works.

    Unfortunately, I am still on dial-up, and 3DMark is ~150MB, IIRC. (I will be
    getting DSL very soon, now that I built the new PC.) Are there any other
    benchmark test programs?

    I read other threads where people mention fast writes causing video
    problems.

    Thanks for the info.

    QZ, Aug 23, 2004
  10. QZ

    QZ Guest

    Now on the sixth reboot, the problem is back, the desktop is cut-off, with
    that small part appearing at the top of the screen.

    Since there is never any problem with the BIOS screens, isn't this a
    driver/setting/or maybe a monitor issue? Could there be a video card defect
    that only shows itself intermittently in Windows? I just don't think so.

    As I mentioned before, when I tell the LCD to adjust the screen, it finds
    nothing to adjust, so I think the video card is putting out a correct
    signal. Furthermore, if I switch Input modes from Digital to Analog
    (nothing) to Digital, the LCD always displays a correct screen.

    If it works in Analog Mode then it is definately the LCD, but if it doesn't,
    who knows.

    I have tried various combos of drivers from ATI, Viewsonic, and MS, as well
    as changing the refresh rates, and fast writes. I will do a System Restore
    to just when I installed Windows and nothing else; I think there may have
    been a problem from the beginning, if so, I think this is a monitor problem,
    if not then drivers/settings.

    I am baffled by this problem. What else can I try to correct the desktop
    screen?

    QZ, Aug 24, 2004
  11. QZ

    Paul Guest

    This posting talks about using Powerstrip, to create a custom
    resolution for the monitor. Powerstrip is available from
    entechtaiwan.com .

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3ea70fa5$0$166$

    http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm

    Perhaps you can create a custom entry for 1280x1024, and change the
    Vertical Geometry settings.

    There are some examples here:
    http://networkstation.sourceforge.net/fb.modes

    and a little terminology explained in the figures on this page:
    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/vectors/en/2003_cvt?c=eu&l=en&s=gen

    I'm thinking maybe your monitor just doesn't like the default values
    the ATI card is using, and is improperly acquiring vertical sync
    from the card.

    If you post again, please include the brand and model number
    of your display, so I can do some searches to see if this is
    a known problem. For the most part, LCD displays seem to be
    amazingly free of such problems, as I don't see complaints from
    people about them (barring the problems of using non-native
    resolution, of course, and getting an ugly display).

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 24, 2004
  12. QZ

    QZ Guest

    I did some research on Viewsonic LCDs (my monitor is a VG191) and Radeon
    cards, and I read a few posts with different problems in Digital mode. I
    remember somebody was having a similar problem in Digital mode in Windows,
    but also in the BIOs. Apparently this isn't a good combo, you would have
    thought they would have worked out these problems by now, but maybe there is
    some kind of hardware flaw in the VG191 and other early Viewsonic Digital
    LCDs, that they can't correct with drivers.

    Today, I connected the LCD to Analog mode and it rebooted fine five times.
    The BIOS screen is now alway slightly cut-off, but I don't care about that.
    What I did notice is at the recommended res. of 60Hz the text was soft, at
    the next standard res. 75Hz it was ok, then at 70Hz, which the LCD doesn't
    even mention, but the card defaults to, it looked just as good as Digital to
    me.

    Tomorrow is the last day to get an RMA, which would give me some more time,
    but whatever the comparablt priced Nvidia card is, the 6800, IRCC, test show
    that the text isn't quite as sharp, and that is most important to me. If
    Analog mode was noticably inferior w/ATI, I would have had to decide if
    going to Nvidia to get Digital would have been better, all things
    considered, but it isn't.

    Since 70Hz is a custom Vertical refresh, and the problem still happens
    intermittently, I just thing this combo doesn't work correctly in Digital. I
    guess I could try increments of one, and continually reboot, but this has
    been too time-consuming as is. I will keep it in Analog mode, and reboot it
    many times between today and tommorrow, so I will know if I need an RMA or
    not.

    QZ, Aug 24, 2004
  13. QZ

    Paul Guest

    I guess you aren't alone:
    http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

    If there was a widespread problem with the VG191, you would think
    there would be more postings in Google. The digital connection is
    a high speed signal, and needs a good cable if it is being clocked
    near its limits. I don't think the protocol has any error detection,
    so if the cable or signal itself was bad, I would first expect to
    see "snow" on the screen, as an indication that the digital signal
    was marginal.

    Your problem sounds like it is related to vertical sync, and I
    had hoped if you adjusted the parameters with Powerstrip, it would
    settle down.

    ATI knows there is a problem too :) Different card.
    http://ebhs-129-33-163-54.tor.usf.ibm.com/support/infobase/3993.html

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 25, 2004
  14. QZ

    QZ Guest

    If I re-connect the Digital mode, I have to reboot at each setting a minimum
    of three times to test it out. If I could see the difference I would, but I
    just don't. And also, I think the video card is recognizing this timing
    issue, and that is why it is defaulting to the non-standard 70Hz Vertical.
    Maybe it should be something close to this to work *always*, I don't know.
    Maybe I'll try to change the settings, but being an intermittent problem,
    although somewhat predictable, it would be annoying to try to fix.

    I read of someone complaining that the Analog was terrible compared to
    Digital w/ this LCD and an ATI card, but he was probably using 60Hz or 75Hz,
    because at 70Hz it looks great.

    My parents have a VG175 (17.4") (analog only) and Voodoo3, it gives a
    garbled desktop at 60Hz, but is fine at 75Hz. Funny though, that the card
    was working at 32-bit color, when I was using it on the VG191, but only does
    16-bit on the VG175. Makes me want to get two new LCDs, but they were too
    expensive, and we haven't had them that much time. The VG175 is from 3.75
    yrs. ago, and the VG191 is from 2.75 yrs. ago. Eventually, though, I will
    get something else, and they will get the VG191.

    QZ, Aug 25, 2004