    I want to disable CLI.exe and ati2evxx.exe as they eat a lot of my RAM.
    Where can I go to disable them? (Windows XP) If they're in services.msc,
    what are they called? If not, where else can I find them?

    Travis King, Jun 4, 2006

  2. Travis King

    Guest Guest

    I can tell you that ati2evxx.exe is the ATI Hotkey Poller service which if
    you want to stop you will need to set to startup type = disabled and restart
    your PC. You will however loose the hotkey functions and the Overdrive
    function for your graphics card (if you don't know what these are, you
    probably don't need them anyway). I believe that the cli.exe is something to
    do with the Catalyst Control Center (Microsoft .Net thingy) which I do not
    use so I cannot give any advice on whether or not it is safe to disable it.

    Glenn

    Guest, Jun 4, 2006

  3. Travis King

    Nonymous Guest

    You can disable cli.exe by running msconfig, then disabling it on the
    Startup tab.

    Nonymous, Jun 4, 2006
  4. Travis King

    Travis King Guest

    It's already disabled in msconfig. I do use the catalyst control center
    though because there's something wrong with my 19" CRT Proview where the
    brightness has gotten really poor. One day I adjusted my brightness and
    when I went to increase my brightness, instead my monitor suddenly got
    darker and now even on 100% brightness, it's pretty dark, so I have to use
    the control center to compensate. It's like its got gamma issues. This
    will be my first and last Proview anyway because I've had other issues with
    this monitor as well. In fact, I'm surprised it's still working three years
    after I bought it at all. Just after this monitor was a year old, the
    colors began flickering and it would flicker between a normal tint and a red
    tint. It quit doing that, then six months later, it started making sounds
    as if the capacitors were overloaded or something. (It sounded almost like
    your ears were ringing.) When I would hear the high-pitch noises, I'd also
    get lines through my screen. I unplugged the monitor for a week and tried
    it and it hasn't acted up since until a month or two ago when I adjusted the
    brightness like I said.

    Travis King, Jun 4, 2006
  5. Travis King

    Clint Guest

    You can try using the ATI Tray Tools instead of the Catalyst Control Center.
    I just set up a new system, and I used the Omega drivers with the Tray Tool
    instead of the more bloated ATI install.

    http://www.omegadrivers.net/

    So far, I'm very happy with the way things run, compared to my previous
    install. No more CLI.exe taking over my computer (100% CPU utilization).
    More memory available, etc. I didn't play around much with CCC, but the ATI
    Tray Tools has all the functionality I want, handling my setup (20" WS LCD
    panel, 19" CRT) just fine. I do have the "ati2evxx.exe" running, but since
    it doesn't try to take over myc computer like the "cli.exe" did, I don't
    care as much.

    Clint

    Clint, Jun 4, 2006
  6. Travis King

    Travis King Guest

    I'll try them out. Thanks.

    Travis King, Jun 5, 2006
  7. Travis King

    Travis King Guest

    The Omega drivers work better as far as keeping my color settings straight,
    but I've noticed that graphics performance isn't as high. Like for example,
    dragging something around in paint doesn't drag smoothly anymore, and
    scrolling through lists isn't as smooth.

    Travis King, Jun 5, 2006