    Dell suggests buying a new server.

    Has anyone gotten around this problem?

    Thanks in advance for the help.

    Boyd.Corder, Feb 3, 2007

  2. Boyd.Corder

    Tom Scales Guest

    Most Dell servers specifically state that an add-in video card is not
    supported.

    Tom Scales, Feb 3, 2007

  3. the documentation says that the 2650 would automatically disable the on
    board video if another video card was present, however the issue here might
    not be the add in video card but that card plus the remote access controller
    (rac). so the op has a decision to make, which is more important, the rac
    or the video card?

    Christopher Muto, Feb 3, 2007
  4. Boyd.Corder

    Boyd.Corder Guest

    So far what I have read, says that the RAC is the issue.

    But since the RAC is built in there isn't a way to remove it.,
    Some of the other servers even show how to remove the RAC to make
    the video card work.
    But the 2650 won't since it's built in.

    I was hoping with enouch people complaining they would have released
    some kind of BIOS update.

    If anyone has any suggestions let me know

    Boyd.Corder, Feb 4, 2007
  5. obviously i didn't realize that it was integrated. i looked at the
    documentation for the set up program and surprisingly there is no option to
    disable it though you can disable so many other embedded devices. i think
    you should post to the poweredge section of the dell community fourms (link
    below). there is a lot more discussion on poweredge servers there than ther
    is here and perhaps someone has a suggestion on how to disable it or at
    least a recommendation for an add in video card that is compatible with the
    rac. can i ask why you want to upgrade the video? usually nobody cares
    about fancy graphics on a server. good luck with it.
    http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/

    Christopher Muto, Feb 4, 2007
  6. Boyd.Corder

    Boyd.Corder Guest

    I got the server from work, and wanted to make a game machine out of
    it.
    Everything in the machine is so fast, I thought it would be a good
    deal to just have to buy an new video card.

    I checked the Dell Forums, but what I have found so far isn't helping.
    Dell suggests a different class of server, and other users have the
    same problem I do..

    Boyd.Corder, Feb 6, 2007
  7. if you are going to stand a chance at it working i would bet that it would
    have to be a card made by ati.

    Christopher Muto, Feb 7, 2007
  8. Boyd.Corder

    Tom Scales Guest

    OK, I'll bite. Why?

    I have completely abandoned ATI. Their drivers cause too much havoc.

    Tom Scales, Feb 7, 2007
  9. Boyd.Corder

    Boyd.Corder Guest

    To me it seems like there is just a conflict with a video card and the
    RAC.
    Dell makes it sound like all video cards won't work.
    But the other Dell servers have the same issue, but the RAC is
    removable.

    I would be willing to try an ATI card if anyone really thinks there is
    a chance.

    I will see if I can pick one up this week.

    If anyother ideas pop up, let me know.

    Thanks again for the help.

    Boyd.Corder, Feb 7, 2007
  10. Boyd.Corder

    Boyd.Corder Guest

    How about this.

    What do you think it would cost to build out a new machine using the
    parts from the 2650?

    It has dual 2.8 Xeons, 4 GB DDR SDRAM, 2 Ultra3 SCSI 128 GB hard
    drives.

    Then I'm just looking at the MOBO, case and a video card.
    I looked on EBay to see what I could get for the server, and then
    looked around for a PC.
    To get a machine that is pretty close will still cost me
    more money.

    Of course just getting the darn video to work would be the easiest.

    Let me know what you think.

    Boyd.Corder, Feb 7, 2007
  11. every server htat i have used for as long as i can remember has had an ati
    video card. this includes the integrated cards as found in the pe 2650.
    ati may well have drivers that are sensitive to such things as the rac
    controller in this machine where as any other vendor probably could not care
    less.

    Christopher Muto, Feb 8, 2007