Disable USB ports - free up IRQ´s

Discussion in 'Asus' started by FVe, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. FVe

    FVe Guest

    Hi all,

    I´m still trying to get my system running good and the stand-by option
    working.

    I notice, when I disable most USB-ports, that it works fine (less IRQ´s
    needed). Therefor I´m thinking about an external USB2.0 hub to compensate
    the loss of the onboard ports.

    In device manager, I see a lot of USB-devices:
    1 ASUSTEC Enhanced Host Controller
    1 Intel 82801BA/BAM USB universal Host Controller 2442
    1 Intel 82801BA/BAM USB universal Host Controller 2444
    2 Open host-controller USB NEC
    4 USB root hub.

    The headers I have on the back of the machine:
    2 USB1.1
    4 USB2.0

    I noticed that when I disable all the USB devices except:
    1 open host controller USB NEC and
    1 USB root hub,
    that only one USB port (supposed to be a USB2.0 header) is still
    functional - this one I could connect a hub to.

    But is it a USB2.0 connection then? Even without the 2442/2444 drivers
    loaded? How do I know?
    (I would like to know, to prevent buying another unneeded device)

    The BIOS-settings won´t help, because there is only the option "both" or
    "disable" ;(

    Regards,
    Frank

    FVe, Oct 14, 2003

  2. FVe

    Muttley Guest

    What type of motherboard is this?
    Seems to have too many USB controllers listed for only 6 ports.....
    AFAIK the Enhanced host controller is the USB2.0 controller. If this is not
    visible in device manager, you will only have USB 1.1 available.
    Are all the ports onboard?.. or is there a USB 2.0 PCI card installed?
    For my Intel ICH4 which has 6 USB2.0 ports, there is 1 Enhanced controller,
    3 Universal controllers, 1 USB 2.0 root hub, and 3 USB root hubs.

    John S.

    Muttley, Oct 15, 2003

  3. FVe

    FVe Guest

    "Muttley" <> schreef in bericht

    Hi! thanks for your help so far!
    Duh! Forgot to mention a small detail ;((

    It´s a P4B266E
    I agree, but is there a trick to minimize the amount of used controllers?
    This is what I was afraid of.....
    The USB2.0 header will work even without the Asustec Enhanced controller.
    Does it work then as a 1.1 controller without the enhanced controller
    enabled instead of a 2.0?
    No,
    4 of the headers are straight onboard USB connectors (2x 1.1 and 2x 2.0),
    2 of them are connected as "front headers".
    Hmmm...this is also strange? 3 controllers for 4 hubs?
    Does it take 4 IRQ´s in your system (or at least mentioned 4 times in the
    IRQ list?)

    btw: the chip in my machine is the 82801BA (ICH2) chip.

    Frank

    FVe, Oct 15, 2003
  5. FVe

    Muttley Guest

    Hi,

    Your board has a USB1.1 interface in the ICH2 chip that controls the four
    USB1.1 ports via the two Intel 82801 (2442/2444)controllers. These account
    for two of the USB root hubs. Two ports are available on the backplane and
    the other two are available via an onboard header. As far I can can work out
    these controllers are both enabled/disabled by the BIOS setting.

    The USB 2.0 capability is provided by an extra USB2.0 controller chip (NEC?)
    on the board that is enabled/disabled by a jumper on the board. The four USB
    2.0 ports are controlled by the single Enhanced host controller when running
    in USB2.0 mode. If a USB 1.1 device is connected to a USB2.0 port, one of
    the NEC Open Host controllers is used to run it. The open host controllers
    account for two more USB root hubs. There should also be an Enhanced/USB2.0
    root hub in the device listing as well. Depending upon what speed USB device
    is connected to one of the USB2.0 ports, the USB2.0 chip connects the
    appropriate mode controller to that port. The four ports are provided the
    same way as the USB1.1. ie two ports on the backplane, and the other two
    useable via an onboard header.

    Now to IRQ assignments. Each USB controller requires 1 IRQ. Your board has
    five USB controllers on it, so five IRQ asssignments will be required to use
    all ports.

    AFAIK, your only options to minimise controllers, is to disable either the
    onboard USB1.1 controller(BIOS), or the extra USB2.0 controller(Jumper).
    Disabling the chipset controller will remove the two intel controllers, and
    free up two IRQ assignments. Disabling the extra USB 2.0 chip will remove
    the Enhanced contoller and the two open host controllers, and free up three
    IRQ assignments. AFAIK, the USB 2.0 ports will not function at all if the
    Enhanced controller is disabled in device manager, but if they still work
    with the Enhanced controller disabled, they will only be in USB1.1 mode.

    Re my ICH4 IRQs:
    Four IRQ assignments are used on my board. Three for the USB1.1 controllers
    and one for the Enhanced USB2.0 controller. The board actually has four USB
    root hubs - One USB2.0 root hub and three standard root hubs.

    John S.

    Muttley, Oct 16, 2003