    fall my way?

    What's the story on all the good things supposed to accrue to us with OS
    X.x? Is there no more fragmentation, no more clean reinstalls?

    Phil Stripling, May 4, 2004

  2. Phil Stripling

    stan Guest

    Until the perfect OS comes out, there will always been problems.
    What makes you think your Mac's sluggishness is due to disk fragmentation?
    Try running Alsoft's Disk Warrior on your Mac and see what it says and
    let it rebuild your disk.

    stan, May 4, 2004

  3. Phil Stripling

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Agreed, Disk Warrior is great. You might also want to check out the
    latest TechTool Pro too, it fixes the stuff that Norton Utilities
    breaks.

    Other possible causes of a slow startup are poor network connection,
    which will cause a long pause if the OS can't find the connection. A
    disk error has occured, and OS 10 will automatically run Disk Utilities
    (aka fsck) during the startup cycle, which can take a long while if you
    have a full disk/slow system.

    Andy Hewitt, May 4, 2004
  4. My guess was either something shut down improperly and the OS was parsing
    through some prefs file that didn't make sense or a disk error of some
    kind.

    I haven't used Norton since switching to OS X; am I better off with Disk
    Warrior or Tech Tool, do you think? Or would fsck be enough?

    Phil Stripling, May 4, 2004
  5. Phil Stripling

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Don't put anything Norton on your disk, it'll cause untold troubles.
    Indeed Symantec (the Norton authors) have now pulled the plug anyway.

    For most problems fsck is enough, indeed you can also run it at startup
    by holding down Command-s to put you into 'single user mode', where
    you'll see a load of Unix text appear. Type /sbin/fsck -yf at the prompt
    and wait until is says it's done (it can take a while). If you get
    errors do it again, until you get no errors. When it's all clear type
    'reboot'.

    If things get seriously bad then Disk Warrior is the king of the
    utilities. You can use TechTool to check file integrity.

    Andy Hewitt, May 4, 2004
  6. after you've done the above, press command-v during startup to have it
    start up in verbose mode. watch the text fly by, be sure to note
    locations where it seems to slow down. it may clue you in to where the
    problem is.

    --
    Woolsey-Swanson Rule:
    People would rather live with a problem they cannot solve

    remove '.eh' to email

    johnny bobby bee, May 4, 2004
  7. I'm not sure what the rule on Mac OS X is, but on other Unixes it's not
    unusual to run fsck at boot once in a while, just as a matter of
    principle. As a result I tend not to give much thought to an
    occasionally slow boot unless it's accompanied by other symptoms.

    Tom Harrington, May 4, 2004