    won't work with the KT7.

    Here's a link to the KT7 BIOS page:
    http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=92

    cbdeja, Oct 19, 2005

  2. wrote:

    | Does anyone know if the KT7 motherboard has a limit on the size of
    | hard drive that can be connected to it? It seems the last-but-one
    | version of the BIOS came with the comments "Support up to 137GB
    | HDD and above".
    |
    | It's not likely to mean ANY disk size above 137GB, and as it was
    | released at the beginning of 2002 it may be that some of the larger
    | disk sizes available today may not work with it.
    |
    | Does anyone know if the last BIOS will work OK with 200-300GB
    | drives?
    |
    | I don't want to buy one of these hard drives and then find that it
    | won't work with the KT7.
    |
    | Here's a link to the KT7 BIOS page:

    http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=92

    The A9 BIOS for the KT7/KT7A provides complete support for 48-Bit LBA, which
    will support any PATA hard disk currently available on the market. Drives
    breaking the 48-Bit LBA barrier aren't even on anyone's drawing board at
    this point (I forget the limit imposed by 48-Bit LBA).

    If you have a KT7-RAID board, your Highpoint controller is, however, limited
    by Abit's choice of the Highpoint BIOS embedded to drives no bigger than
    about 137GB. Modding the A9 BIOS with more recent Highpoint BIOS' will lift
    this barrier on the Highpoint controller.

    I've modded Abit's KT7_A9 BIOS to include the Highpoint 2.351 BIOS, which
    provides support for 48-Bit LBA, as well as many other fixes. You can pick
    it up at http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/KT7_A9.BIN. This BIOS is also used
    on revision 1.0 - 1.2 of the KT7A-RAID. I've also modded the KT7S_B4 BIOS
    for users of the KT7A-RAID revision 1.3, which can be picked up at
    http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/KT7S_B4.BIN.

    To flash from these revisions, prepare the BIOS flash diskette using Abit's
    download files (Awdflash.exe, Abitfae.bat and Runme.bat) from the
    self-extracting download from Abit. Replace Abit's .bin file with the one
    from my download on the diskette and you're good to go. Boot to the
    diskette and, at the DOS prompt, type RUNME, following the on-screen
    prompts. Ensure that you don't have a Config.sys or Autoexec.bat file on
    your diskette.

    Jef

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Oct 19, 2005

  3. cbdeja

    D Larsen Guest

    Jef,

    Thanks for the modded BIOS for the KT7....I have a question,
    though....don't the IDE ports only support ATA/66, while the Highpoint
    controller supports ATA/100 on the -RAID version ? If so, the OP might
    want/need to use the larger drive's utility program to set it to /66 or
    connect it to the Highpoint controller (if he has the RAID version). I
    suspect any new drive is set to default to /100, but maybe not ! I know
    I had an issue with a Western Digital drive that drove me nuts until I
    discovered the need to set the drive's mode.

    My KT7-RAID mb is currently sitting alone on my workbench, so I can't
    fiddle with any of these settings <g> !

    Dean...

    D Larsen, Oct 20, 2005
  4. D Larsen wrote:

    | Jef,
    |
    | Thanks for the modded BIOS for the KT7....I have a question,
    | though....don't the IDE ports only support ATA/66, while the
    | Highpoint controller supports ATA/100 on the -RAID version ?
    | If so, the OP might want/need to use the larger drive's utility
    | program to set it to /66 or connect it to the Highpoint controller
    | (if he has the RAID version). I suspect any new drive is set to
    | default to /100, but maybe not ! I know I had an issue with a
    | Western Digital drive that drove me nuts until I discovered the
    | need to set the drive's mode.
    |
    | My KT7-RAID mb is currently sitting alone on my workbench, so
    | I can't fiddle with any of these settings <g> !
    |
    | Dean...

    Hi Dean -

    You're correct. The KT7 only supports ATA66 on the IDE1/2 ports and ATA100
    on the RAID ports (for the RAID version). Excellent reminder.

    I also probably should have advised that matching Highpoint drivers to the
    version 2.351 BIOS should be downloaded from http://www.highpoint-tech.com
    when installing an OS with my modded BIOS .. gotta have both a 48-bit LBA
    capable BIOS and drivers.

    My old KT7-RAID lives in one of my dad's computers .. he's been getting my
    hand-me-downs for years.

    ATA100/133 drives really should be backward compatible with ATA66 and lower
    ... but I have heard stories where you need to alter firmware settings for
    some to work.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Oct 20, 2005
  5. cbdeja

    D Larsen Guest

    Jef,

    Hmmmm....glad you reminded me about the matching drivers...went and
    grabbed those, too ! Since I haven't messed with this board in a while,
    I've forgotten most of those "important" steps.

    This board HAD been in my wife's machine...she's the one who gets my
    hand-me-downs <g>, but I've always liked that board. I had her machine
    running faster than my Soyo Dragon, using a "non-supported" cpu !
    However, it started to show some stability problems...a "challenge" to
    me; "intolerable" to her <g>. I replaced the mb with a cheapie PC Chips
    board and now she's happy. I figured I'd use the KT7 in the basement
    machine; then I realized the couple of cases I have lying around are not
    ATX ! Can't justify spending $$ on a new case for this old mb...guess
    I'll have to wait until my next "major" upgrade <g>

    Dean...

    D Larsen, Oct 20, 2005
  6. D Larsen wrote:

    | Jef,
    |
    | Hmmmm....glad you reminded me about the matching drivers...
    | went and grabbed those, too ! Since I haven't messed with this
    | board in a while, I've forgotten most of those "important" steps.
    |
    | This board HAD been in my wife's machine...she's the one who
    | gets my hand-me-downs <g>, but I've always liked that board.
    | I had her machine running faster than my Soyo Dragon, using a
    | "non-supported" cpu ! However, it started to show some stability
    | problems...a "challenge" to me; "intolerable" to her <g>. I replaced
    | the mb with a cheapie PC Chips board and now she's happy. I
    | figured I'd use the KT7 in the basement machine; then I realized
    | the couple of cases I have lying around are not ATX ! Can't justify
    | spending $$ on a new case for this old mb...guess I'll have to wait
    | until my next "major" upgrade <g>
    |
    | Dean...

    Hi Dean -

    I do need a bonk on the noggin once in a while to remind people to mate the
    modded BIOS with the matching drivers. Consider me so bonked (nah... I'm
    not trying to start anything here <g>).

    I understand challenge vs. intolerance. I'll spend days on a challenge,
    where anyone who has an intolerable computer problem .. those that expect me
    to help them anyway .. becomes a gnat to swat as quickly as possible.

    You can always set up the old KT7-RAID board on the bench while it waits for
    a proper home. That's assuming, of course, that you have a proper PSU
    laying about. Someone else's castaway might also become an inexpensive home
    for the KT7 board .. think computer shows, swap meets, neighborhood garage
    sales, etc. The wife might even enjoy you showing an interest in such
    venues .. my dad has been building Frank-N-Computers for years from my
    hand-me-downs, much to my mom's annoyance that their spare bedroom now
    resembles the bench at your local computer repair shop (I remind her that it
    keeps my dad from spending all of his time on the toilet).

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Oct 20, 2005
  7. cbdeja

    0_Qed Guest

    D Larsen wrote:

    ....snip...
    Yet another obscurity ... the 'ESCD' ...

    Assuming a BS 'aboard' ...
    its also nice to have "saved_away",
    the ESCD that matches =all= the operational hdwr/sftwr elements,
    in 'use',
    at the time,
    on a =stable= system ...
    .... re_stated ...
    save a =clear= record of the hdwr/sftwr configuration, in use, at the
    time,
    =plus= the matching 'ESCD' .

    "Configuration" , to 'moi' ,
    means ...
    the "guzinta" tree( indented, multi_lvl parts list ) of parts, by
    rev_level.

    Theres a freebie 'app', out "there" ,
    which will 'ID', and list, most(if not all),
    the hdwr/sftwr "parts/rev" installed ...
    titled [Belarch Advisor ?????], somesuch ...
    I forget the exact 'title' ,
    but 'do' have "it" ...
    as does TomG , on his ?server? .

    Between the freebie 'app' = [B????] ...
    and a copy of the 'ESCD' ...
    you mite have a pretty good start on documenting your sftwr/hdwr config.

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Oct 20, 2005
  8. Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Oct 20, 2005
  9. cbdeja

    D Larsen Guest

    Hi Dean -
    Jef,

    That's the maddening part.....I have the ATX PSU, I just don't have a
    case <g> ! I suppose I could rig something up where I turn it on and
    off with a short across the pins, but I'm just not in the mood....

    The current basement machine is my trusty old FIC VA-503+ with a K6-2
    550 chip....got another -503 with a -350 chip that works fine....was the
    wife's machine in her classroom (she's a teacher) but this year she cast
    it off for a shiny new, school-supplied Intel box...."No respect", as
    Rodney used to say <g>

    Dean...

    D Larsen, Oct 21, 2005
  10. cbdeja

    D Larsen Guest

    Yup, the ole KT7 does have a BS on board...."Don't leave home without
    it" <g>

    If I ever get it going again, I'll probably start from scratch....got
    the Belarc and the Aida (now Everest) SW too....neat programs !

    Dean...

    D Larsen, Oct 21, 2005
  11. cbdeja

    0_Qed Guest

    I periodically made
    .. a) an Awdflash 'save' of the Abit OEM eeprom to obtain the current
    ESCD
    .. ... never quite trusted 'saves' from the BS eeprom ;
    .. b) a matching Belarc 'run' ;
    .. c) an XXCOPY clone of the OS sftwr & 'app' add_ins ...
    .. after dumping the M$ W98 I_Net cach directory abortion.

    Never really had to use/restore it/them in total , but had 'em in total
    .... used 'pieces' yes.
    Often just the refreshed "matched/saved" ESCD + Registry cleared up a
    few 'oddities'.

    I have a KG&_R ...
    .. a multi_boot setup ... WfW( 32_bit_ized ), W98, XP ,
    .. HDs are in rack & tray , more 'filled' trays than racks
    .. was not particularly careful of thier proper, logical, tray
    insertion positions,
    and,
    as a consequence of the "above" ... ==> "oddities" ...
    a few non_lethal foot_shots before I wized up.
    easy 'Recovery' became Plan_A .

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Oct 21, 2005