    instead of using the installation CD. Now the repair button is grayed
    out and I can only verify it. Has it always been so and I'm just senile?

    Most grateful.

    Cris, Jul 2, 2007

  2. Cris

    Gerry Guest

    You can't repair the Startup disk with Disk Utility, you have to startup
    with from the OS disk. Has been that way always.

    Gerry, Jul 2, 2007

  3. Cris

    John Byrns Guest

    How do you boot from "another Mac"?

    Regards,

    John Byrns

    John Byrns, Jul 2, 2007
  4. Its probably possible to boot into terminal mode and do most of it..but
    the safest thing is to boot the startup disk, go into termional mode
    from that, and use fsck to check and repair any anomalies on the system
    disk..but that is often a boot time option anyway..

    The Natural Philosopher, Jul 2, 2007
  5. Cris

    Cris Guest

    Pretty unanimous: I am senile. Thanks, loads, everybody! Really, not
    being sarcastic. Glad to know the computer is doing exactly what it
    should be doing. Guess I just forgot.

    Cris, Jul 2, 2007
  6. Cris

    M-M Guest

    Is it true the iPhone cannot accept voice dialing?

    M-M, Jul 2, 2007
  7. Is it true the iPhone cannot accept voice dialing?[/QUOTE]

    What does that have to do with Disk Utility and Disk Repair?

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 2, 2007
  8. Cris

    Steve Ball Guest

    Jolly Roger:
    Yes, but can you boot from that disk?

    Steve Ball, Jul 2, 2007
  9. I don't think booting from the install disk allows you to go multiuser ;-)

    When I tried it, there wasn't much of an OS running at all..

    Actually it isnt too bad to run fsck on a read only mounted partition.

    The Natural Philosopher, Jul 2, 2007
  10. Cris

    Eric P. Guest

    My Disk Utility always allows me to repair permissions on the boot
    volume. I do that every time I install sw. Is this not what's being
    referred to in this thread?

    Thanks,
    Eric

    Hogwasher: You don't have to sacrifice friendliness for power
    http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?58/hogwasher.html

    Eric P., Jul 2, 2007
  11. Cris

    Ian Gregory Guest

    I don't think so. Yes you can both verify and repair *permissions*
    on the boot volume. You can also "Verify Disk" (which is a totally
    different thing) but the option to "Repair Disk" will be greyed out.
    You can not repair the boot volume while you are booted from it -
    the normal thing to do is repair it using the copy of Disk Utility
    on your installation media.

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Jul 2, 2007
  12. Cris

    M-M Guest

    What does that have to do with Disk Utility and Disk Repair?[/QUOTE]

    oops, sorry, I was replying to the wrong post.

    M-M, Jul 2, 2007
  13. You boot from a system that doesn't need repairing, in order to have an
    operating system that CAN repair the disks that you are NOT using to boot.

    Changing disks under the feet of a live system is almost guaranteed to
    get you into deeper water than you are already.

    Its very simple. Stuff the installation DVD into the computer DVD slot,
    boot it, and instead of using any of the graphics options, select
    'terminal' from the menu at the top.

    You now have a computer running off a read only DVD ROM, a RAMdisk, with
    the actual hard drives mounted in /Volumes/something..can't remember.
    And a root permissions terminal session that can run Fsck on whatever
    you like. Except the DVD of course :)

    The Natural Philosopher, Jul 2, 2007
  14. Cris

    Eric P. Guest

    Confirmed. I just looked at that a moment ago. Makes sense to me that
    one would need to boot from a different volume in order to repair
    another volume in such a way. That's how it is under OS 9.x as well.

    Eric P., Jul 2, 2007
  15. Cris

    KJ Guest

    By the way, for those of you who haven't used ZFS yet, ZFS doesn't
    need to be fsck'd!

    And no that wasn't a geeky curse word, do "man fsck" in a terminal if
    you want to know basically what disk utility GUI does for disk repair.

    Granted, ZFS won't likely yet be bootable in Leopard, but having used
    ZFS with Solaris for a few years, I'll be certain to format all of my
    remaining disks with ZFS once it's available.

    For those totally in the dark on what ZFS is:
    http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/whatis/

    KJ, Jul 3, 2007
  16. Easier still, IMHO, to boot from the bootable back-up and run Disk
    Utility on the "normal" startup volume...well, except that I tried this,
    and got a message that said something to the effect that the volume I
    wanted to repair couldn't be unmounted. Another stumper for me.

    - E

    Eric P. Peterson, Jul 9, 2007
  17. I'll check it out.

    Thanks,