    I have been thinking about putting a 4.5 GB disk into it - 200 MB is just
    too little.

    /Thomas

    Thomas Skyt, Sep 29, 2003

  2. No problem.

    You need to keep the entire "/" filesystem within the first 1 or 2
    gigs though, depending on the OBP version, or you may have problems
    booting the system.

    Thomas

    Thomas Tornblom, Sep 29, 2003

  3. Thomas Skyt

    Thomas Skyt Guest

    Goody :)
    Hmmm ... I know my systems says it's got ROM revision 2.3 - isn't that the
    OBP?

    /Thomas

    Thomas Skyt, Oct 1, 2003
  4. Yep. That is a fairly old version. The first IPX OBP was 2.1 and the
    final was 2.9.

    I believe it will handle a < 2G "/", but I'm not positive. It will
    definitely handle a < 1G "/".

    Thomas

    Thomas Tornblom, Oct 1, 2003
  5. Thomas Skyt

    Thomas Skyt Guest

    Okay.

    I'll have to try it out - as soon as anybody would just let me win one of
    those ebay-auctions on scsi-drives :)

    /Thomas

    Thomas Skyt, Oct 1, 2003
  6. The problem is that it may very well work to install and boot on a
    larger "/", but once parts needed to boot end up beyond the 2G (or 1G)
    border, you won't be able to boot.

    I installed a 9G disk in an ss10, with an 8G "/" and a 1G swap, and it
    worked fine for a while. When the filesystem was filled to beyond the
    2G border and I installed the kernel patch, the system would no longer
    boot :-(
    Thomas

    Thomas Tornblom, Oct 1, 2003
  7. Thomas Skyt

    Yann Marigo Guest

    no problem on a 4G "/" partition on a 50G HD with SS5. I've just made au
    little "/boot". Run perfectly under linux.

    MiniHOWTO (in French, sorry :( )
    http://www.yannos.com/archives/sun/index.html

    Try google translation... not really good for the exemples, but ok for
    the comments.
    http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

    Hope this help :)

    Yann Marigo, Oct 6, 2003