DiskSuite questions

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by John Stafford, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. DiskSuite questions

    I want to start experimenting with DiskSuite 4.2.1 on an Ultra 10
    running Sol 8.

    I have managed to get my hands on the following hardware:

    1 x Ultra SCSI Multipack
    2 x 9g Gb 7.2rpm disks
    2 x 9 Gb 10k rpm disks
    2 x 18 Gb 10k rpm disks
    2 x 36 Gb 10k rpm disks
    1 x Sunswift PCI scsi/hme

    I have trawled Sunsolve and google and had no joy seeking answers to the
    following questions:

    1. Will the 10k rpm disks work effectively in this multipack? The Sun
    Systems Handbook only refers to 7.2k disks in these packs.

    2. If the 10k disks function OK what will be the affect of mixing disks
    of different speeds when it comes to reading and writing from them in a
    cat, stripe or mirror scenario.

    I suspect that Software will cause data read and write speed to be
    determined by the speed of the slowest disk.

    3. I need to learn more about Data Storage but can’t afford to attend
    formal courses. I plan to spend time mastering DisksSuite before
    progressing to Veritas.

    Any information or pointers to indicative reading will be much
    appreciated.

    This is request only for personal home/self education use and not for a
    production system, if that makes any difference.

    Thanks

    Jon

    Due to the mixed Hardware/Software/OE nature of this request, I am
    posting to more than one group.

    Thanks again

    John Stafford, Jul 3, 2003

  2. You may have heating issues.
    RPM differences will be least felt in a concat. In a concat, data is
    only written to one disk at a time.

    It can make performance a bit funky, particularly in a mirror. In general
    you want mirrored drives to be mirrors of each other (same geometry, same
    speed, same vendor, etc.)
    Pretty much correct.

    docs.sun.com

    -tom

    Thomas H Jones II, Jul 3, 2003

  3. John Stafford

    Tom Hamilton Guest

    try docs.sun.com and search on disksuite. There is a "user" and
    "reference" manual in PDF format Hope you have broadband.

    Tom Hamilton, Jul 3, 2003
  4. Yes, they should. Note that your Multipack only holds 6 disks.
    So you have 2 spare. I'd leave the 2 7.2K RPM disks out. Make
    sure your environment is reasonably cool so you don't experience
    heat related issues.
    Performance will be affected. With mirroring, you could favour
    the faster disks for reads. Note, see the above comment which
    means this may not be an issue but it might be an idea to test
    any setup with the slower disks too and make performance
    comparisons. Gathering some metrics and publishing them might
    be useful for others.
    Good idea. The DiskSuite docs are fairly good. If you get the
    SVM docs for solaris 9 note that the metadb's are larger in
    size than in your version and earlier (up from nearly 1K to
    nearly 8K).

    -am © 2003

    Anthony Mandic, Jul 4, 2003