    I have a bootable disk with Diskwarrior on it and can repair the
    internal hard drive that way, but it takes forever to boot, so I'd
    prefer to use the FW drive if possible for regular maintenance.

    d49ot, Jul 31, 2004

  2. d49ot

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Since I do this routinely, I know it can be done. It sounds as though
    the startup or login process opens some file(s) on the internal drive
    which is enough to prevent unmounting the drive.

    If nothing obvious comes to mind, try the terminal command 'lsof' and
    search for listed files which reside on the internal drive.

    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

    Tom Stiller, Jul 31, 2004

  3. d49ot

    d49ot Guest

    I have some programs listed as log-in items at startup on both machines.
    I'll try taking them out and seeing if the FW drive is happy with that.

    Do you have log-in items set up on your internal drive?

    d49ot, Aug 1, 2004