    and TechTool Pro have been applied to absolutely identical situations? If so,
    are the results of such studies available on the net? If so, are there
    situations where one of the two outperforms the other?

    TaliesinSoft, Jul 12, 2005

  2. They're not really meaningfully comparable. They're complementary tools.

    Gregory Weston, Jul 12, 2005

  3. TaliesinSoft

    PeterG Guest

    See...

    <http://www.macfixit.com/index.shtml>

    ...for a detailed comparison.

    --
    Regards

    PeterG. (aka Lobo)

    Remove MEATFREEspamblock to reply to this vegetarian.

    PeterG, Jul 12, 2005
  4. TaliesinSoft

    clw Guest

    Check out todays MacFixit. It compares several disk maintainence
    utilities and what each may be good for.

    clw, Jul 12, 2005
  5. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    [responding to my request for details on the comparative effectiveness of
    DiskWarior and TechTool Pro]

    Thanks for the references to two quite interesting and informative articles.
    I'm digesting them now!

    TaliesinSoft, Jul 13, 2005
  6. TaliesinSoft

    David C. Guest

    They are completely disjoint products.

    Disk Warrior does one and only one thing - it rebuilds directories. It
    is very good at doing this, and a lot of problems are solved as a
    result, but that is all it does.

    Tech Tool Pro, on the other hand, is a complete diagnostic suite. It
    tests a wide variety of hardware devices (not just disk drives), and can
    analyze/repair more than just directory structures. It also includes
    disk optimization features and system-monitoring features.

    I have both. I find that both are useful, but not for the same things.
    When I want/need to rebuild a directory, I use Disk Warrior. For other
    diagnostics, I use TTP.

    -- David

    David C., Jul 13, 2005
  7. TaliesinSoft

    Bruce Grubb Guest

    For what it is worth TechTool *Deluxe* is part of the AppleCare Protection
    Plan and the Apple Hardware Test CD <http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/aht.html>
    only ships with new macs and TechTool Pro 4 is suggested as an alternative
    with the cavate that version 4.0.4 is what needs to be used on Tiger.

    Bruce Grubb, Jul 14, 2005
  8. TaliesinSoft

    Henry Guest

    I wonder how many TidBITS readers know / remember that it was originally
    distributed as a Hypercard stack!

    cheers,

    Henry

    Henry, Jul 14, 2005
  9. Can't say, but that was one reason I didn't used to read it. After they
    changed to setext, I could ignore the "structure" and read it as a text
    file. NOW I read it.

    Howard S Shubs, Jul 14, 2005
  10. TaliesinSoft

    David C. Guest

    TTD is a stripped down version of TTP. I never used my copy, but some
    friends have. It is useful, but I would recommend upgrading to the
    full TTP package. Note that Micromat will give you upgrade pricing if
    you have a copy of TTD from an AppleCare subscription.
    Yes. Tech Tool Pro prior to 4.0.4 is incompatible with Tiger and may
    actually cause problems if run on a system running Tiger. This includes
    the Apple-bundled Tech Tool Deluxe!

    -- David

    David C., Jul 14, 2005
  11. TaliesinSoft

    Ray Laughton Guest

    I have used neither since moving to OS X a couple of years ago. I also
    used to love 'fixing' and 'cleaning up' my HD with Norton. Are these
    products still relevant with UNIX? The sluggish response of my OS
    despite having a dual 1Ghz CPU I thought was due to it being bloated.
    (Jaguar, 1.6GB). Could it be defragmentation? I hardly use Photoshop
    anymore. As a comparison: I trimmed OS 8.6 down to 1.5MB on my old
    powerbook (250Mhz 1400c) and it was zippy!

    RL

    Ray Laughton, Jul 20, 2005
  12. TaliesinSoft

    David C. Guest

    First off, I assume your drive is formatted with HFS+ ("Macintosh
    Extended") format and not HFS ("Macintosh Standard").

    HFS+ should not need to be defragmented. There are system facilities
    to auto-defragment files on an as-needed basis, which should be enough
    most of the time.

    Directory optimization, however, is something else. Optimizing just
    the directory (with TTP or with Disk Warrior) is a good idea. It
    doesn't often need it, but if you're seeing sluggish performance, then
    it is a possibility.

    How much memory do you have? Mac OS X uses more memory than 8.6. If
    you have less than 512M installed, strongly consider an upgrade to at
    least 512M.

    Using Apple's Disk Utility to verify the disk (and repair it if
    problems are discovered) is also a good idea. Minor disk errors can
    slow things down.

    Using Disk Utility to repair permissions on your boot volume may also
    help.

    -- david

    David C., Jul 26, 2005
  13. DiskWarrior and TTP don't do the same thing.

    Howard S Shubs, Dec 10, 2006
  14. AFAIK, DiskWarrior focuses on rebuilding certain filesystem structures
    like directories. TTP does this plus disk optimization, an extended
    filesystem repair and recovery (like MacOS 9's Disk First Aid, but DW
    might do this as well), and full HW diagnostics. Indeed, when I bought
    an AppleCare contract, I got a copy of TTP 3 which I upgraded.

    They aren't equivalent, so comparisions are not useful. One's a flat
    head and the other phillips head screwdriver.

    Michael Vilain, Dec 10, 2006