Dismantling an NEC LT23 Laptop (NEC Versa?)

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Beable van Polasm, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Hello, I found a site with instructions for opening up a Sony
    505 laptop here:

    http://www.isi.edu/~johnh/OTHER/LINUX/sony_pcg_505.html

    These instructions were for an older model, but they were good enough
    to take apart a Z505.

    I'm looking for something similar to open an NEC LT23 La Vie NX, which
    might be the same as an NEC Versa something from 1998. There's a picture
    of a model which looks the same here:

    http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/article/980601/nec_n4.jpg

    I've pulled out all the screws I can find, but the case still seems to
    be held together by some screws I can't find at the back left, probably
    under that strip above the keyboard in the picture above.

    Does anybody have any ideas, or preferably detailed instructions?

    Beable van Polasm, Feb 21, 2004

  2. AHA! I cracked it! The strip on top of the keyboard can be slid to the
    left, revealing a whole bunch of screws!

    Beable van Polasm, Feb 21, 2004

  3. And now for my final comment! Suppose you have an NEC laptop which
    looks like this:

    http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/article/980601/nec_n4.jpg

    If you want to change the hard drive, DON'T REMOVE ANY SCREWS! First,
    push the plastic strip above the keyboard to the left. It will slide
    off. Then lift up the keyboard. Life the back of the keyboard, and
    pull it backwards out of the slots at the front holding it in
    place. At the top left will be instructions on how to get the hard
    drive out. First remove the one screw to the right of the
    instructions, then pull on the black tab. The hard drive has a plug
    underneath which plugs into the mainboard socket.

    Next remove the four screws holding the rails to the old hard drive,
    along the edges of the drive. Pry off the IDE connector with a small
    screwdriver. You should be able to get the hard drive out.

    Get your new hard drive and connect it to the IDE connector. Screw it
    onto the rails, and follow the instructions to "press on the black
    dot" above where the plug is to plug the hard drive into the
    mainboard. It should go in easily. Replace the single screw holding
    the hard drive down, put the keyboard back, and slide the strip to the
    right to put it all back together.

    You should be able to change the hard drive in less than 10 minutes,
    and only have to remove and replace 5 screws, four of which connect
    the hard drive to the rails.

    I hope this helps somebody.

    cheers
    Beable