Display Adapters, Monitor, BIOS and Device manager (WAS: Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by JP, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. JP

    JP Guest

    Already did that. And in the Control Panel in Add or remove programs the
    NForce controllers show themselves. But if I go to Device Manager there
    isn't any entry to Display Adapters and for Monitor. Not sure if it's
    anything in the BIOS. It's pretty much everything at default per the
    manual. Changed the Date, Boot Devices, the CPU External Frequency to
    166MHz, the Graphics Aperture Size is at the default 64M, and the AGP
    Frequency is set for AUTO. AGP 8X Support and AGP Fast Write capability
    are both enabled. Primary VGA BIOS is changed from PCI VGA Card to AGP
    VGA CARD.

    Another thing about the BIOS. On boot the option to enter the BIOS only
    presents itself if I press TAB, right after the beep when the image of
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe appears, if I don't press it the SATARaid message shows
    on and tells me to press F4 to configure the RAID. I only have one hard
    drive, so I let that pass. (This message of the RAID controller stays on
    for a few seconds, it's a bit irritating). Then after that it shows the
    information about the HD, and it changes the screen to show info about
    the IDE channels, then the PCI device listing and Verifying DMI pool
    data and it loads Windows XP Professional. This is pretty much the boot
    sequence. I don't see any message about the AGP card. Shouldn't that be
    the first thing that appears on boot along with information about the
    BIOS?

    JP, Jan 9, 2004

  2. JP

    Wazza Guest

    When it boots to desktop just install your video card driver and it should
    be ok.

    Wazza, Jan 9, 2004

  3. But the fact that you can see anything at all means that the gfx card is detected (though as a generic vga
    device). Do you mean there is no category for Display Adapter and Monitor, or, there is, but no device listed
    under either? Is there an Other Devices or Unknown Devices category because one of them will have the
    Standard VGA adapter listed within and you can then update the VGA drivers manually.
    No. The AGP card appears as a generic PCI VGA device attached to the PCI bus in the startup messages. The
    card will be recognised as an AGP device when the gfx card drivers are installed within Windows. At least
    that is what is supposed to happen. I'm sure somebody will bite my head off if I'm wrong.

    Tony.

    --
    3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

    To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

    The Black Wibble, Jan 9, 2004
  4. JP

    JP Guest

    in
    Doh! You were absolutely right, it was under Other Devices with a
    question mark. I updated the drivers under that and now there is category
    for Display Adapter and for Monitor.
    It still doesn't show anything about it in the boot sequence, but that's
    not really important. I have the option to change to various resolutions in
    the windows desktop so it's working fine. Going to test some games with it.
    Anyway, thanks to you, Wazza and KB for helping me out. My new system is
    finally runing smooth now!

    JP, Jan 9, 2004