Display problem with Office tools in SunPCi-III

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Jeffery Small, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. The background:

    I have a new SunPCi-III card running on my SunFire V250, Solaris-9 system.
    I have a XVR-100 graphics card with a 21" Sun monitor attached to the analog
    video port. I have installed Windows XP Professional and Office 2003 and
    am running the gnome 2.0 desktop and Xsun is started with -defdepth 8.
    The framebuffer depth is set to 8+24 (24 bit with fake8 mode enabled).

    The problem:

    I have a display problem. With a few of the XP dialog menus, areas that
    should be a shaded color are displayed as a series of black and white bands.
    This is not too bad, but in all of the Office products (Word, Excel, etc.),
    the menu and toolbars are totally unreadable. Some of the icons float
    around on a black background, others are garbled, and the menu buttons are
    totally unreadable making the applications impossible to use.

    The problem seems to be with the way Microsoft is shading certain areas.
    If I switch from the Windows XP to the Windows Classic desktop theme, the
    problem disappear for the XP dialog windows because this theme uses flat
    areas rather than 3D modeling I would use this mode, however, no change
    to the desktop display parameters appear to affect the Office application
    toolbars. These seem to be rendered in a totally different way.

    I did try to set Xsun to a defdepth of 24 (rather than 8) and turned off
    the xvr-100 fake8 mode. This actually solves the toolbar display problem
    but it makes everything else in the XP environment display in a low-res
    dithered mode that looks horrible. It also produces horrible color flash
    problems between the SunPCi window and the rest of the Gnome display.

    Does anyone have any experience with this and can you suggest something that
    I need to do to solve the display problems? I'm hoping that there is some
    sort of switch you can specify to XP or the Office apps. to tell them to
    display themselves in a better way. Any suggestions are appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Jeffery Small, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Michael Lehmann, Feb 20, 2004