    Any way, other than those, to check for display sleep without waking a
    sleeping recent iMac that has no power light?

    Martin

    Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu, May 17, 2014

  2. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Martin Frost me at
    invalid stanford daht edu <> wrote:

    > With Snow Leopard, to detect whether an iMac was in sleep mode or just
    > in display sleep, I would move the cursor by moving the Magic Mouse or
    > by sliding a finger on the Magic Trackpad. In display sleep, that
    > would wake the screen, but in sleep mode it wouldn't wake the Mac.
    >
    > Now in Mavericks (including 10.9.2 and 10.9.3), trying to move the
    > cursor doesn't wake it from display sleep. So the only methods to
    > test for display sleep are to listen for the faint disk spinning sound
    > (which in a noisy environment isn't effective -- even less effective
    > with a pure-SSD system), or possibly trying to connect to the machine
    > over the net (which might wake it from sleep if so configured).
    >
    > Any way, other than those, to check for display sleep without waking a
    > sleeping recent iMac that has no power light?

    same for mountain lion (and probably lion). they changed it for no good
    reason. the only way to wake the display now is tap a key which will
    also wake the mac if it's sleeping.

    nospam, May 17, 2014

  3. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2014.05.17, 03:01 , Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu wrote:
    > With Snow Leopard, to detect whether an iMac was in sleep mode or just
    > in display sleep, I would move the cursor by moving the Magic Mouse or
    > by sliding a finger on the Magic Trackpad. In display sleep, that
    > would wake the screen, but in sleep mode it wouldn't wake the Mac.
    >
    > Now in Mavericks (including 10.9.2 and 10.9.3), trying to move the
    > cursor doesn't wake it from display sleep. So the only methods to
    > test for display sleep are to listen for the faint disk spinning sound
    > (which in a noisy environment isn't effective -- even less effective
    > with a pure-SSD system), or possibly trying to connect to the machine
    > over the net (which might wake it from sleep if so configured).
    >
    > Any way, other than those, to check for display sleep without waking a
    > sleeping recent iMac that has no power light?

    Not that I can think of. But then unless I need my computer I don't
    care if its screen is sleeping or the computer is. One follows the other.

    I don't power down my iMac unless there is a need (away for a week, a
    need to cold start, or moving it somewhere).

    --
    I was born a 1%er - I'm just more equal than the rest.

    Alan Browne, May 17, 2014
  4. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Alan Baker Guest

    On 2014-05-17 15:11:58 +0000, nospam said:

    > In article <>, Martin Frost me at
    > invalid stanford daht edu <> wrote:
    >
    >> With Snow Leopard, to detect whether an iMac was in sleep mode or just
    >> in display sleep, I would move the cursor by moving the Magic Mouse or
    >> by sliding a finger on the Magic Trackpad. In display sleep, that
    >> would wake the screen, but in sleep mode it wouldn't wake the Mac.
    >>
    >> Now in Mavericks (including 10.9.2 and 10.9.3), trying to move the
    >> cursor doesn't wake it from display sleep. So the only methods to
    >> test for display sleep are to listen for the faint disk spinning sound
    >> (which in a noisy environment isn't effective -- even less effective
    >> with a pure-SSD system), or possibly trying to connect to the machine
    >> over the net (which might wake it from sleep if so configured).
    >>
    >> Any way, other than those, to check for display sleep without waking a
    >> sleeping recent iMac that has no power light?

    > same for mountain lion (and probably lion). they changed it for no good
    > reason. the only way to wake the display now is tap a key which will
    > also wake the mac if it's sleeping.

    What I'm having trouble with is why I should care.

    How does this negatively affect a Mac user?

    Alan Baker, May 17, 2014
  5. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    nospam Guest

    In article <ll80e4$36h$>, Alan Baker
    <> wrote:

    > >> With Snow Leopard, to detect whether an iMac was in sleep mode or just
    > >> in display sleep, I would move the cursor by moving the Magic Mouse or
    > >> by sliding a finger on the Magic Trackpad. In display sleep, that
    > >> would wake the screen, but in sleep mode it wouldn't wake the Mac.
    > >>
    > >> Now in Mavericks (including 10.9.2 and 10.9.3), trying to move the
    > >> cursor doesn't wake it from display sleep. So the only methods to
    > >> test for display sleep are to listen for the faint disk spinning sound
    > >> (which in a noisy environment isn't effective -- even less effective
    > >> with a pure-SSD system), or possibly trying to connect to the machine
    > >> over the net (which might wake it from sleep if so configured).
    > >>
    > >> Any way, other than those, to check for display sleep without waking a
    > >> sleeping recent iMac that has no power light?

    > > same for mountain lion (and probably lion). they changed it for no good
    > > reason. the only way to wake the display now is tap a key which will
    > > also wake the mac if it's sleeping.

    > What I'm having trouble with is why I should care.
    >
    > How does this negatively affect a Mac user?

    because it was easy to push the mouse to wake the display, which can no
    longer be done.

    nospam, May 17, 2014
  6. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Alan Baker Guest

    On 2014-05-17 16:22:48 +0000, nospam said:

    >>> same for mountain lion (and probably lion). they changed it for no good
    >>> reason. the only way to wake the display now is tap a key which will
    >>> also wake the mac if it's sleeping.

    >> What I'm having trouble with is why I should care.
    >>
    >> How does this negatively affect a Mac user?

    > because it was easy to push the mouse to wake the display, which can no
    > longer be done.

    OK. So hitting a key or clicking the mouse is so much tougher?

    There are only two states:

    I want to interact with my machine, so I want it to be awake.

    I DON'T want to interact with it, so whether it's just display sleep or
    full sleep, I don't care.

    Alan Baker, May 17, 2014
  7. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    nospam Guest

    In article <ll83og$9lp$>, Alan Baker
    <> wrote:

    > >> What I'm having trouble with is why I should care.
    > >>
    > >> How does this negatively affect a Mac user?

    > > because it was easy to push the mouse to wake the display, which can no
    > > longer be done.

    > OK. So hitting a key or clicking the mouse is so much tougher?

    it's not 'much tougher', however, it's different and less convenient.

    > There are only two states:
    >
    > I want to interact with my machine, so I want it to be awake.
    >
    > I DON'T want to interact with it, so whether it's just display sleep or
    > full sleep, I don't care.

    then why did you ask how to check for display sleep without waking?

    pick one or the other and that's the end of that.

    nospam, May 17, 2014

    <> wrote:

    > >> What I'm having trouble with is why I should care.
    > >>
    > >> How does this negatively affect a Mac user?

    > > because it was easy to push the mouse to wake the display, which
    > > can no
    > > longer be done.

    > OK. So hitting a key or clicking the mouse is so much tougher?

    >it's not 'much tougher', however, it's different and less convenient.

    > There are only two states:
    >
    > I want to interact with my machine, so I want it to be awake.
    >
    > I DON'T want to interact with it, so whether it's just display sleep
    > or
    > full sleep, I don't care.

    >then why did you ask how to check for display sleep without waking?

    >pick one or the other and that's the end of that.

    Anal is an Asshole troll who is all over Usenet busting peoples chops.
    He thinks it's cute. The Dick is a worthless loser without a real
    job, who lives off his mommy.

    If you ignore him it will devastate the nothing.

    Puffin Killer, May 17, 2014
  9. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Alan Baker Guest

    On 2014-05-17 19:41:51 +0000, Puffin Killer said:

    > "nospam" wrote in message news:170520141344360843%...

    >>> because it was easy to push the mouse to wake the display, which can no
    >>> longer be done.

    >> OK. So hitting a key or clicking the mouse is so much tougher?

    >> it's not 'much tougher', however, it's different and less convenient.

    >> There are only two states:
    >>
    >> I want to interact with my machine, so I want it to be awake.
    >>
    >> I DON'T want to interact with it, so whether it's just display sleep or
    >> full sleep, I don't care.

    >> then why did you ask how to check for display sleep without waking?

    >> pick one or the other and that's the end of that.

    > Anal is an Asshole troll who is all over Usenet busting peoples chops.
    > He thinks it's cute. The Dick is a worthless loser without a real job,
    > who lives off his mommy.
    >
    > If you ignore him it will devastate the nothing.

    I win!

    Alan Baker, May 17, 2014
  10. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Alan Baker Guest

    On 2014-05-17 17:44:36 +0000, nospam said:

    >>> because it was easy to push the mouse to wake the display, which can no
    >>> longer be done.

    >> OK. So hitting a key or clicking the mouse is so much tougher?

    > it's not 'much tougher', however, it's different and less convenient.

    I'm sorry, but I don't think there's a meaningful difference in
    convenience between moving the mouse and clicking the mouse button.

    >> There are only two states:
    >>
    >> I want to interact with my machine, so I want it to be awake.
    >>
    >> I DON'T want to interact with it, so whether it's just display sleep or
    >> full sleep, I don't care.

    > then why did you ask how to check for display sleep without waking?

    I didn't.

    Alan Baker, May 17, 2014
  11. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    nospam Guest

    In article <ll8g3u$umd$>, Alan Baker
    <> wrote:

    > >> OK. So hitting a key or clicking the mouse is so much tougher?

    > > it's not 'much tougher', however, it's different and less convenient.

    > I'm sorry, but I don't think there's a meaningful difference in
    > convenience between moving the mouse and clicking the mouse button.

    it's not between moving and clicking the mouse.

    it's between moving the mouse and tapping a key, and there is
    definitely a usability difference.

    if the mac is awake with the display off, taping a key can alter an
    open document unless it's a modifier key such as shift, whereas moving
    the mouse will have no effect no matter what. that means that the user
    has to be sure to press only certain keys to avoid any chance of
    changing a document, and one that they can't see since the display is
    off.

    that makes moving the mouse a more convenient option since it's larger
    than having to check which key to press. just grab it and move it.

    > >> There are only two states:
    > >>
    > >> I want to interact with my machine, so I want it to be awake.
    > >>
    > >> I DON'T want to interact with it, so whether it's just display sleep or
    > >> full sleep, I don't care.

    > > then why did you ask how to check for display sleep without waking?

    > I didn't.

    yep, someone else did.

    nospam, May 17, 2014

    On 2014-05-17 19:41:51 +0000, Puffin Killer said:

    > "nospam" wrote in message

    >>> because it was easy to push the mouse to wake the display, which
    >>> can no
    >>> longer be done.

    >> OK. So hitting a key or clicking the mouse is so much tougher?

    >> it's not 'much tougher', however, it's different and less
    >> convenient.

    >> There are only two states:
    >>
    >> I want to interact with my machine, so I want it to be awake.
    >>
    >> I DON'T want to interact with it, so whether it's just display
    >> sleep or
    >> full sleep, I don't care.

    >> then why did you ask how to check for display sleep without waking?

    >> pick one or the other and that's the end of that.

    > Anal is an Asshole troll who is all over Usenet busting peoples
    > chops. He thinks it's cute. The Dick is a worthless loser without a
    > real job, who lives off his mommy.
    >
    > If you ignore him it will devastate the nothing.

    >I win!

    Keep telling yourself that, Dick.

    Now roll over and play dead, Mutt.

    Puffin Killer, May 17, 2014
  13. In article <170520141646054197%>,
    nospam <> wrote:

    > if the mac is awake with the display off, taping a key can alter an
    > open document unless it's a modifier key such as shift, whereas moving
    > the mouse will have no effect no matter what. that means that the user
    > has to be sure to press only certain keys to avoid any chance of
    > changing a document, and one that they can't see since the display is
    > off.

    I've always used a modifier key as the way to wake my Mac. Why would you
    even consider typing a character key?

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA

    Barry Margolin, May 18, 2014
  14. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Your Name Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Barry Margolin <> wrote:
    > In article <170520141646054197%>,
    > nospam <> wrote:
    > >
    > > if the mac is awake with the display off, taping a key can alter an
    > > open document unless it's a modifier key such as shift, whereas moving
    > > the mouse will have no effect no matter what. that means that the user
    > > has to be sure to press only certain keys to avoid any chance of
    > > changing a document, and one that they can't see since the display is
    > > off.

    > I've always used a modifier key as the way to wake my Mac. Why would you
    > even consider typing a character key?

    I don't use sleep, but to end the screen saver I usually use the
    spacebar (simply because it's a bigger target to tap) or move the
    mouse.

    Your Name, May 18, 2014
  15. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Alan Baker Guest

    On 2014-05-17 21:14:26 +0000, Puffin Killer said:

    > "Alan Baker" wrote in message news:ll8fhb$tg8$...
    >
    > On 2014-05-17 19:41:51 +0000, Puffin Killer said:
    >
    >> "nospam" wrote in message news:170520141344360843%...

    >>> OK. So hitting a key or clicking the mouse is so much tougher?

    >>> it's not 'much tougher', however, it's different and less convenient.

    >>> There are only two states:
    >>>
    >>> I want to interact with my machine, so I want it to be awake.
    >>>
    >>> I DON'T want to interact with it, so whether it's just display sleep or
    >>> full sleep, I don't care.

    >>> then why did you ask how to check for display sleep without waking?

    >>> pick one or the other and that's the end of that.

    >> Anal is an Asshole troll who is all over Usenet busting peoples chops.
    >> He thinks it's cute. The Dick is a worthless loser without a real job,
    >> who lives off his mommy.
    >>
    >> If you ignore him it will devastate the nothing.

    >> I win!

    > Keep telling yourself that, Dick.
    >
    > Now roll over and play dead, Mutt.

    LOL

    Alan Baker, May 18, 2014
  16. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Alan Baker Guest

    On 2014-05-17 20:46:05 +0000, nospam said:

    >>> it's not 'much tougher', however, it's different and less convenient.

    >> I'm sorry, but I don't think there's a meaningful difference in
    >> convenience between moving the mouse and clicking the mouse button.

    > it's not between moving and clicking the mouse.
    >
    > it's between moving the mouse and tapping a key, and there is
    > definitely a usability difference.
    >
    > if the mac is awake with the display off, taping a key can alter an
    > open document unless it's a modifier key such as shift, whereas moving
    > the mouse will have no effect no matter what. that means that the user
    > has to be sure to press only certain keys to avoid any chance of
    > changing a document, and one that they can't see since the display is
    > off.
    >
    > that makes moving the mouse a more convenient option since it's larger
    > than having to check which key to press. just grab it and move it.

    Again, you are incorrect. The keystroke that wakes the system isn't
    sent on to any application.

    Watch. I put my display to sleep...

    ....nd the reason there is no "a" in the "and" that was supposed to
    begin this line is that the "a" I typed to wake the screen didn't go
    anywhere.

    So go ahead and hit the spacebar, secure in the knowledge that it will
    wake the display without putting a space into any application.

    Oh, and you can click the mouse button and it will wake the system too.

    :)

    Alan Baker, May 18, 2014
  17. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Alan Baker Guest

    On 2014-05-18 04:14:00 +0000, Barry Margolin said:

    > In article <170520141646054197%>,
    > nospam <> wrote:
    >
    >> if the mac is awake with the display off, taping a key can alter an
    >> open document unless it's a modifier key such as shift, whereas moving
    >> the mouse will have no effect no matter what. that means that the user
    >> has to be sure to press only certain keys to avoid any chance of
    >> changing a document, and one that they can't see since the display is
    >> off.

    > I've always used a modifier key as the way to wake my Mac. Why would you
    > even consider typing a character key?

    You can consider it...

    ....because it won't go anywhere.

    :)

    Alan Baker, May 18, 2014
  18. In article <180520141621310756%>,
    Your Name <> wrote:

    > In article <-september.org>,
    > Barry Margolin <> wrote:
    > > In article <170520141646054197%>,
    > > nospam <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > if the mac is awake with the display off, taping a key can alter an
    > > > open document unless it's a modifier key such as shift, whereas moving
    > > > the mouse will have no effect no matter what. that means that the user
    > > > has to be sure to press only certain keys to avoid any chance of
    > > > changing a document, and one that they can't see since the display is
    > > > off.

    > > I've always used a modifier key as the way to wake my Mac. Why would you
    > > even consider typing a character key?

    > I don't use sleep, but to end the screen saver I usually use the

    I don't use sleep, either. The only time I put my MacBook to sleep is
    when I'm mobile and close the lid. At home I use it like a desktop, and
    just use display sleep. But I don't think the thing you need to "wake"
    from is relevant to the discussion.

    > spacebar (simply because it's a bigger target to tap) or move the
    > mouse.

    I think the combined size of all the modifier keys on each side of the
    keyboard is about the same as the spacebar.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA

    Barry Margolin, May 18, 2014
  19. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Your Name Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Barry Margolin <> wrote:

    > In article <180520141621310756%>,
    > Your Name <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <-september.org>,
    > > Barry Margolin <> wrote:

    > > > I've always used a modifier key as the way to wake my Mac. Why would you
    > > > even consider typing a character key?

    > > I don't use sleep, but to end the screen saver I usually use the

    > I don't use sleep, either. The only time I put my MacBook to sleep is
    > when I'm mobile and close the lid. At home I use it like a desktop, and
    > just use display sleep. But I don't think the thing you need to "wake"
    > from is relevant to the discussion.
    >
    > > spacebar (simply because it's a bigger target to tap) or move the
    > > mouse.

    > I think the combined size of all the modifier keys on each side of the
    > keyboard is about the same as the spacebar.

    After a quick measure:

    - on my beige AppleDesign Keyboard, the six modifier keys
    together are just under 1.25 the length of the spacebar
    ... but that is half on each side, so the spacebar is
    still the biggest single target. :)

    - on the old iBook, there's only one Apple key on the
    right-side of the spacebar (plus an Enter key), and
    a Fn / Ctrl / Opt / Apple combination on the left-side,
    so in total they are bigger than the spacebar, but
    although it's close on the left-side keys, the spacebar
    is still slightly bigger.

    Your Name, May 18, 2014
  20. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Lewis Guest

    In message <-september.org>
    Barry Margolin <> wrote:
    > In article <170520141646054197%>,
    > nospam <> wrote:

    >> if the mac is awake with the display off, taping a key can alter an
    >> open document unless it's a modifier key such as shift, whereas moving
    >> the mouse will have no effect no matter what. that means that the user
    >> has to be sure to press only certain keys to avoid any chance of
    >> changing a document, and one that they can't see since the display is
    >> off.

    > I've always used a modifier key as the way to wake my Mac. Why would you
    > even consider typing a character key?

    Th nospam moron is wrong anyway. If the screen is off or the computer is
    asleep, the computer does not pass on the key that was pressed.

    This is trivial to check. set your screen to lock after 5 seconds, then
    press Control-shift eject to turn of the screen, then press the spacebar
    within 5 seconds. Space is not passed to the current application.

    Macs have *always* behaved this way.

    --
    I thank my lucky stars I'm not superstitious.

    Lewis, May 18, 2014