    or just display sleep could be useful. Yes, I could check Console to see
    if sleep and wake requests had been sent, but that mouse action was much
    simpler.

    Daniel Cohen, May 18, 2014

  2. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Paul Sture Guest

    Yes if an unwanted click gets through to an app. As things were, this could
    easily happen if you clicked to bring the display alive, so I got used to
    wiggling the mouse to do that rather than clicking.*

    I've just done a quick test (I've got the top left corner set as a hot
    corner which blanks the display) and as long as I only click the mouse once
    that click doesn't get through to an app, which is fine.

    If I click twice however, the second click gets through to an app, and I
    just brought an "unwanted" Preview window to the front by doing that.
    "Unwanted" because my intention was not to bring that app to the front.
    The unfortunate thing with mouse movement reactivating the display
    is that an accidental nudge will bring the screen back to life. When I've
    just blanked the display via the hot corner I usually put the mouse on
    one side and with the old behaviour that could too often bring the display
    back, sending me back to square one.

    I prefer the new behaviour, though I suppose I have had to learn to click
    just the once.

    * my preferred method is to hit shift or control on the keyboard. This
    is a habit which goes back to VT220 terminals in the eighties - you
    definitely didn't want to send a typewriter key to an app you had left
    running when the screen blanked - shift or control brought back the display
    without sending anything to the app.

    Paul Sture, May 18, 2014

  3. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Paul Sture Guest

    Despite preferring the new behaviour I do see a difference. Going back
    to CRT displays I got into the habit of moving the mouse to wake the
    screen to make sure that I didn't send a click through to the system.

    I could do that without actually getting a proper hold of the mouse,
    a nudge of an elbow would do.

    Paul Sture, May 18, 2014
  4. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Alan Baker Guest

    OK... ...I guess.

    But FYI: I've set a hot corner to display sleep...

    ....and mouse movement still wakes my Mavericks from it.

    Sorry for those who want to complain about a problem that doesn't quite
    match what they claim.

    :-|

    Alan Baker, May 18, 2014
  5. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Guest Guest

    i just checked and apparently that changed at some point, including
    display sleep.

    it used to do that.

    Guest, May 18, 2014
  6. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Guest Guest

    no they definitely have not always behaved that way.

    at some point in the past, the keypress to come out of display sleep
    (not system sleep) definitely did go to the app, which is why i started
    tapping a modifier key and not the easy to hit spacebar.

    i didn't think it would change, but apparently it did. i just checked
    snow leopard and mountain lion and it doesn't affect the frontmost app.

    Guest, May 18, 2014
  7. Well, I think there's a reason for the change, namely to avoid having
    the Mac or display awakened inadvertently. Unfortunately it seems to
    have made it impossible to wake just the display (advertently!).

    Hmm, did someone say you should care? I'm the OP and I didn't say
    that. I indicated only that I care. You don't need to care if you
    don't want to. :)-)

    Well, it affects me because it means that to make sure an iMac is
    fully asleep, I have to wake it up -- and then put it to sleep via a
    guaranteed method. It's the old story: "woke me up to give me a
    sleeping pill".

    I want the iMac to sleep rather than just be in display sleep because
    I want to save energy. Display sleep saves some energy, but sleep
    saves about twice as much.

    Yup, exactly. Inquiring minds want to know, in my case to save
    energy.
    I theorize that, if you wait 6 seconds or so after your Mavericks
    machine goes into display sleep before you move the mouse, subsequent
    mouse movement won't wake the display sleep.
    Sorry for those that imply that a situation doesn't exist when it
    does! :)-)

    Martin

    Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu, May 19, 2014
  8. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Lewis Guest

    The question is, why is it important that you know if the computer is
    fully asleep or not?
    Have you checked the power draw? The screen is the vast majority of the
    power draw on an idle iMac. A sleeping iMac (2013) draws less than 1W,
    and less than 80W when the screen is on and the machine is idle.

    The computer will sleep based on your settings in the Energy saver
    system prefs, if you want it to sleep when the display sleeps, you can
    certainly set it to do that.

    Lewis, May 19, 2014
  9. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Lewis Guest

    That does *not* happen. Never has.
    ohnoes!

    --
    "I don't care if Bill Gates is the world's biggest philanthropist. The
    pain he has inflicted on the world in the past 20 years through lousy

    Lewis, May 19, 2014
  10. The question? Oh, you mean your question. I answered that in my
    paragraph which you fortunately quoted just below your question,
    namely:
    I have indeed checked the power draw. A 2011 iMac here draws 81-90W
    while fully awake and 54-63W in display sleep. It draws essentially
    0W when fully asleep.

    So, putting the display to sleep saves only about 27W. Putting the
    machine to sleep saves at least another 54W. That's why I want the
    machine to sleep rather than to just be in display sleep.
    I have in fact it set to sleep, yet it doesn't sleep automatically for
    some reason. It only goes into display sleep, so I put it to sleep
    manually, but I hate to have to wake it up to do so (sleeping pill,
    blah, blah).

    Martin

    Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu, May 19, 2014
  11. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Lewis Guest

    Ah, so here we have the real problem, the computer does not sleep when
    it is supposed to. That is probably a solvable problem.

    First, of course, check the settings in the Energy Saver. If they look
    good, change them, then change them back. You might, if that doesn't
    solve the problem, check what pmset -g says from the command line.

    Lewis, May 19, 2014
  12. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Your Name Guest

    Shut it down and turn it off at the wall and you'll save even more
    energy. :)

    The simple solution would be to turn off the Display Sleep ooption, so
    that the computer is the only thing that goes to sleep.

    Your Name, May 19, 2014
  13. "Alan Baker" wrote in message
    It seems the best thing you do, Asshole, is to make enemies where none
    existed.

    Such a sad little, muffin top midget. Perhaps your height is the root
    of your problems.

    Puffin Killer, May 19, 2014
  14. Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

    Alan Baker Guest

    LOL

    Bark for me, Michael!

    I am curious thought: what height do you think I am?

    :)

    Alan Baker, May 20, 2014