    tried at least three different varieties, and all of them consistently get
    "stuck" in the DisplayPort. I'm sensing there must be a release mechanism
    but I don't see one. How do you release a DisplayPort connector?

    W, Jan 27, 2014

  2. W

    Paul Guest

    W wrote:
    > I have a Quadro 5000 that came with a Dell T7600. I'm having a problem
    > where I cannot remove the DisplayPort to HDMI adapters I am using. I have
    > tried at least three different varieties, and all of them consistently get
    > "stuck" in the DisplayPort. I'm sensing there must be a release mechanism
    > but I don't see one. How do you release a DisplayPort connector?

    Receptacle and Plug engineering drawings.

    http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/472720008_sd.pdf

    http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/472710011_sd.pdf

    Notice that a cable can be fitted with a latch, which
    are two pins on either side of the connector. As usual,
    the drawing does not show what parts of the assembly
    move, rotate or pivot. I would guess, depressing
    the plastic bit with the triangle on it, causes the
    latch pins near the end of the cable connector, to
    disengage from the matching holes on the receptacle.

    You would need to examine the cable connector when
    outside the video card, to see if you can get any movement
    from the latch pins. So they can be moved out of the way.

    Other than that, the receptacle has spring compression
    points, which provide friction retention.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 28, 2014

  3. W

    W Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > W wrote:
    > > I have a Quadro 5000 that came with a Dell T7600. I'm having a problem
    > > where I cannot remove the DisplayPort to HDMI adapters I am using. I

    have
    > > tried at least three different varieties, and all of them consistently

    get
    > > "stuck" in the DisplayPort. I'm sensing there must be a release

    mechanism
    > > but I don't see one. How do you release a DisplayPort connector?
    > >

    > Receptacle and Plug engineering drawings.
    >
    > http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/472720008_sd.pdf
    >
    > http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/472710011_sd.pdf
    >
    > Notice that a cable can be fitted with a latch, which
    > are two pins on either side of the connector. As usual,
    > the drawing does not show what parts of the assembly
    > move, rotate or pivot. I would guess, depressing
    > the plastic bit with the triangle on it, causes the
    > latch pins near the end of the cable connector, to
    > disengage from the matching holes on the receptacle.
    >
    > You would need to examine the cable connector when
    > outside the video card, to see if you can get any movement
    > from the latch pins. So they can be moved out of the way.
    >
    > Other than that, the receptacle has spring compression
    > points, which provide friction retention.

    I think you solved the mystery. It looks like all DisplayPort cables have
    some variation on this pressure sensitive lock. To release the cable you
    have to find the pressure latch and push down before you pull out the cable.

    W, Jan 28, 2014
  4. W

    kamaradski

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2017
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had half a broken connector stuck inside the back of my monitor (good reminder to avoid cheap crappy cables)

    Investigating a second cable it quickly became clear that the plastic release pushes 2 small metal pins that retract the locking-hooks.

    These 2 pins are on the long end of the connector and are still reachable even when the plug has broken off. I was able to push the bud of the plug into the socket some deeper to release any left over pulling tension, than slightly push the pins with a tool while pulling the remainder of the plug out of it's socket.

    Thank god, plug came out and I practised just enough anger management not to damage the socket.

    As this was the first google-result, i'm leaving this here for the next victim :D

    kamaradski, Aug 23, 2017