    fiddled round with the recording / microphone levels. I've also tried
    turning off the +20db boost but nothing helps. Am running windows XP if
    anyone can help - thanks!!

    Mark, Jul 4, 2003

  2. Mark

    skinupman Guest

    Hi.
    What kind of mic do you have? Some condensers run on phantom power. If its
    an active mic it may need a battery replacement. Is it wired up right? US
    hotpoints can be different to UK.
    More info needed.
    Peace.

    skinupman, Jul 6, 2003

  3. Mark

    skinupman Guest

    Hi
    Sorry , scratch that. On a proper reading of your post you state that the
    monitored sound is clear yet the recorded sound on play back is distorted.
    That would imply that the mic is fine. The problem must lie in a mismatch of
    levels somewhere in the PC. Have you tried recording into sound recorder?
    ( the windows prog). If all is ok then the problem is with your main
    recording software.If not then the problem is in your soundcard. Still need
    more info though.ie ,what recording software, soundcard etc.
    Peace

    skinupman, Jul 6, 2003
  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hey

    Thanks for help so far. Yes have tried the normal sound recorder (and later
    installed Creative Recorder) and its distorting on that. Its actually a
    friends computer and he said this was happening with his old soundcard (on
    motherboard one which is now disabled in bios) which is why he got a new
    one. Wonder if its possible the creative card could still be using
    something from the old soundcard's drivers?

    Thanks for help.

    Mark, Jul 7, 2003