    without improving it a bit. I tried different VIA audio drivers. So,
    evidently it must be some sort of internal Windows problem. It's Windows XP
    Professional with SP1. Any guidance appreciated. TIA.

    Sideshow Bob, Jan 17, 2004

  2. Sideshow Bob

    Paul Taylor Guest

    Try reducing the mixer settings (e.g. set all levels to 67% instead
    of 100%) and turn up the speakers to compensate. Also, set any
    inputs that you don't use to 0% and/or mute them. If you get
    distortion regardless of the mixer settings, it's probably a
    hardware problem with the motherboard - either replace it, or
    disable the on-board audio and add a sound card instead.

    Paul Taylor Veni, vidi, tici -
    I came, I saw, I ticked.

    Paul Taylor, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Sideshow Bob

    Simon Guest

    Check if you are using any CPU cooling software, such as CPU Idle etc, that
    can cause distorted sound. Also, I have noticed this issue with MusicMatch
    software. If you have CPU software, disable it, if it is Musicmatch then
    reinstall.

    Hope it helps your situation.

    Simon, Jan 18, 2004