Distortion of top of frame from analog video capture with ATI Radeon 9200 VIVO?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by drw, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. drw

    drw Guest

    I am trying to capture old home videos (13 year old Sony NTSC Video8
    handycam) using an ATI Radeon 9200 128MB VIVO card.

    I had managed to get one recent 2 hour tape captured without problem
    and then burned to DVD, so I thought I knew what I was doing, but now
    working on second tape (about 8 years old) I am having a problem with
    the capture.

    The tape looks just fine playing back when viewed in the camera's
    viewfinder (ie no distortion), but at the same time when viewing on
    any PC software using the "ATI Rage Theater Video Capture", I can see
    certain scenes are distorted by "waves" in the top 1/5th of the frame.
    It comes and go (ie, certain scenes don't have any problem at all).

    It doesn't seem to matter if I am viewing the capture through
    PowerDirector Pro or Windows MovieMaker - ie, the distortion appears
    in whatever software is viewing the ATI video capture. It also
    appears regardless of whether I am actually recording the captured
    video or not (ie, I assume problem is with the capture device, not
    during the recording onto hard drive).

    The camera is connected using the ATI-supplied input/output adapter
    cable (ie, camera composite video-out connected to orange connector on
    the adapter cable). As I say, I have managed to capture at least one
    2 hour video without problem.

    Is it possible the old tape itself is causing a problem with the video
    capture that is not appearing when viewing directly on TV or through
    the camera viewfinder? Ie, I don't want to go out and get another
    capture card if the problem is related to the tape.

    Any helpful suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

    FWIW, although I am in Australia, the camera is from North America
    (NTSC) and I only want NTSC video capture. I choose "NTSC M" as the
    mode (in PowerDirector, I have tried NTSC 433 and NTSC M J with no
    improvement). Again, I have had no problems viewing this tape when
    directly output to my NTSC-playback TV here.

    The PC is a Pentium 4 2.6 with 1GB DDR 400 memory and I have loaded
    latest drivers for this card from the ATI site.

    drw, Dec 9, 2003