    model you have if it does NOT have the fan opening on bottom but has
    both intake and exhaust on sides, like my old Sony?

    Thanks for your help.

    Jim, Dec 13, 2003

  2. Jim

    Andrew Guest

    : Searching for new laptop, I noticed a disturbing problem. Most of the
    : new "laptops" are really "notebooks", as you could not use them on
    : your lap or sitting on a bed with the fan opening blocked (this
    : according to their manuals which contain warning about "NEVER COVER
    : THE FAN OPENING". Acer, Averatec and many others have this opening on
    : the bottom. This means you would have to operate them on a flat
    : surface with machine propped up off the surface.

    : Can anyone who has recently purchased a laptop please advise what
    : model you have if it does NOT have the fan opening on bottom but has
    : both intake and exhaust on sides, like my old Sony?

    Have you looked at any of the Centrino/Pentium M-based notebooks?
    They run much cooler than the Pentium 4-based systems and are less
    likely to have complicated cooling systems.

    My Toshiba 1415 2GHZ Celeron (bought seven months ago but was already
    a year old) does not have an opening on the bottom - sides only. Have
    you looked at Toshiba machines?

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Dec 13, 2003

  3. Jim

    TV Slug Guest

    I just use a small lap desk. It's much more comfortable than having the
    computer directly on my legs anyhow. It leaves plenty of space. I used to
    have a thin slab of aluminum on top of it, but I found the fan didn't run
    all that much anyhow, so I don't use it any more.

    TV Slug, Dec 13, 2003
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I am only looking at Centrino machines, most seem to have the fan
    right on bottom, and their manuals all have warning not to operate
    machine with fan port blocked, poor design if you like to use it on
    your lap or chunk it on the bed.

    Jim, Dec 13, 2003
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Perhaps the "desk" should come as an accessory.... he he... You could
    have one case for the so-called "laptop" and another for the desk to
    rest it on. Would be awkward sitting on a bus or in a park, etc.

    Jim, Dec 13, 2003
  6. Jim

    TV Slug Guest

    It would be nice. The one I use is fairly thin, soft on the underside using
    a loose layer of tiny styrofoam dots inside fabric that give good balance on
    wherever I set it. Fits nicely into my case with the computer.

    TV Slug, Dec 13, 2003
  7. Jim

    Andrew Guest

    : I am only looking at Centrino machines, most seem to have the fan
    : right on bottom, and their manuals all have warning not to operate
    : machine with fan port blocked, poor design if you like to use it on
    : your lap or chunk it on the bed.

    Have you looked at Toshiba machines? I'd be surprised if all of their
    laptops have the cooling vents on the bottom.

    I don't think cooling issues will be much of an issue with today's
    Centrino machines (that is, the fan shouldn't come on much). I tried
    an early Toshiba M15 Centrino laptop last spring (1.4GHZ) and I don't
    think the fan came on at all, if it even had one.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Dec 14, 2003
  8. Jim

    Quaoar Guest

    The fan placement is a result of the greater cooling requirement for
    the newer CPUs. They need much more air and the only way to get that
    without turning the laptop into a noisy turbine is with a low speed,
    high output fan, and that translates into a fan diameter too large
    for any other surface. It's a fact of laptop life.

    Quaoar, Dec 14, 2003
  9. Jim

    Andrew Guest

    : The fan placement is a result of the greater cooling requirement for
    : the newer CPUs. They need much more air and the only way to get that
    : without turning the laptop into a noisy turbine is with a low speed,
    : high output fan, and that translates into a fan diameter too large
    : for any other surface. It's a fact of laptop life.

    It's not a fact of life for the newer lower-power Centrino/Pentium M
    based laptops. I just looked at Toshiba's website, for example. You
    can see the bottom of each laptop via their "product tour" page.
    Toshiba's A20 series (P4) does have a fan on the bottom, but their M30
    series (PM) does not. Neither does the A10 series (P4-M).

    You're going to see a greater and greater mix of Centrino/Pentium M
    systems as time goes on, one reason being lower power consumption.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Dec 14, 2003