    physically switch off the maching. Can anyone explain what is happening
    and what on earth I can do to stop this occurring? Thanks to anyone who
    can stop me going eventually mad with a fix for this!

    john_9999, Jul 3, 2005

  2. john_9999

    bobb Guest

    Well, I am guessing the fix is obvious to u but how easily?

    Look at the recycle bin, it may still be there!

    Then go Accessories->System Tools->System Restore and see if u can "go
    back" in time.
    (As usuall, u folks don't give us all the important pertinent info, so
    I shall assume u are running XP)

    U *may* be able to use the EXPAND command and retrive the files from
    install CD but I've never done this myself.

    Copy the files from a second machine/buddy.

    Lots of choices really.

    ---------------
    If your business is looking for quick free consulting,
    please ignore my replies. I only wish to reply to other
    engineers/administrators and home users who are stuck
    and not interested to give your business free consulting.

    Thank you.

    bobb, Jul 3, 2005

  3. john_9999

    tc Guest

    Neither of those dlls look like part of windows. Go to Run>msconfig and
    under the startup tab, uncheck the programs that look like they are
    associated with those dlls.
    Terry

    tc, Jul 3, 2005
  4. john_9999

    john_9999 Guest

    Recycle Bin empty. I tried the Windows Restore option, didn't help. I
    even tried the "undo" option in System Mechanics but after running for
    almost 48 hours i had to switch the machine off before it melted (and I
    wasn't actually convinced it was really doing anything even tho it told
    me it was). I am running XP Home edition SP2. If I can get hold of the
    files, where do I put them?? I have not heard of the RESTORE command.
    Can I find anything to help on the Microsoft website?

    john_9999, Jul 3, 2005
  5. john_9999

    john_9999 Guest

    Thanks, I looked at msconfig and didn't see anything related to this
    dll, or indeed any dll (was i looking in the right place?). One odd
    thing though, when I looked at entried under WIN.INI the foloowing
    entries were there:
    for 16 bit app support
    fonts
    extensions
    mci extensions
    files
    mail
    MCI extensions
    annie

    Any idea what "annie" could be???? There are entries under this "annie"
    folder

    I have never been into msconfig on this laptop ever (in fact i do not
    even know what it is!)

    I am running XP Home Edition sp2

    john_9999, Jul 3, 2005
  6. john_9999

    tc Guest

    Under the startup tab you will see all (or most) programs that start with
    Windows. If any have a name that looks like it might relate to the dlls you
    mentioned, uncheck it and restart.
    Terry

    tc, Jul 3, 2005
  7. john_9999

    tc Guest

    tc, Jul 3, 2005
  8. john_9999

    Quaoar Guest

    You can try to check XP for missing or corrupted *system* files. From a
    command prompt, type: sfc /scannow[enter]. Have the XP install CD
    handy.

    Quaoar, Jul 4, 2005