    My teacher in school is teaching that DMA is no longer in use because it
    is too slow...
    Then how come that hard disk is faster in DMA than in PIO mode?

    SysCold, Jan 31, 2004

  2. SysCold

    CBFalconer Guest

    Your teacher, to put it gently, is full of it. Sounds like a
    class where you want to remember just enough to spit it back at
    exam time, and then rapidly forget it. Correcting the teacher is
    unlikely to lead to good marks.

    CBFalconer, Jan 31, 2004

  3. SysCold

    kony Guest

    Did that teacher specify that PIO was the faster alternative (which of
    course is untrue)?

    It might've been simply that "DMA" was being considered in a vague
    sort of way, as single or multi-word, not ultra DMA.

    Always take what a lower-level course instructors say with a grain of
    salt... an unfortunate side-effect of Windows is that it makes *some*
    people feel more competent than they really are... even in areas not
    so directly related to windows.

    Here's a site to get a little more basic info:
    http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/ide/modesDMA.html

    kony, Jan 31, 2004
  4. SysCold

    Comcast News Guest

    Perhaps your teacher was referring to UDMA as being a faster form of DMA??
    PIO is certainly not faster than either DMA or UDMA (U stands for Ultra). I
    believe WindowsXP will automatically select what is best for most drives.

    Comcast News, Feb 9, 2004
  5. SysCold

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Usually it does, although I've found that with some optical drives it
    defaults to 'PIO mode only'. I change that to 'DMA if available' and usually
    get UDMA mode 2 and a lot faster throughput times.

    ~misfit~, Feb 9, 2004
  6. SysCold

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Just to confirm what I said above, I put a new PC together yesterday and XP
    Pro had the CD-RW as UDMA mode 2 and the CD-ROM as PIO only. I changed it in
    device manager/IDE/peoperties and now the CD-ROM is running UDMA mode 2.

    ~misfit~, Feb 10, 2004