    --

    Sam

    Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.

    Salmon Egg, Dec 24, 2013

  2. Salmon Egg

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Yon can duplicate a disk image with a Finder drag, no application needed.

    Tom Stiller, Dec 24, 2013

  3. Salmon Egg

    Király Guest

    I think the OP meant to clone *to* a disk image; i.e. copy the contents
    of a volume to a disk image.

    Both SD and Disk Utility will do a one-time job of it just as well. If
    the source volume changes and you want to update the disk image with the
    new data, though, Super Duper has a Smart Update feature that will copy
    over only what's changed, saving a ton of time. Disk Utility can't do
    that; you have to start over again.

    Király, Dec 24, 2013
  4. Salmon Egg

    Guest Guest

    but making the disk image can't be done with finder, and superduper can
    create a disk image just like disk utility can.

    Guest, Dec 24, 2013
  5. Salmon Egg

    Guest Guest

    superduper can do an incremental clone, copying only changed files.

    it's *much* faster.

    another option is carbon copy cloner. it has a few more features but
    it's slower, unless you're cloning the entire drive and ccc can do a
    block copy (it can't always).

    Guest, Dec 24, 2013
  6. Salmon Egg

    Lewis Guest

    SuperDuper (and Carbon Copy Cloner) have better UIs for this and more
    options.

    Lewis, Dec 24, 2013
  7. You can use SuperDuper to move files from one disk to a larger or
    smaller disk. Disk Utility won't do that because it does block-by-block
    copy instead of file-by-file copy.

    Michael Vilain, Dec 25, 2013