    drives that can play DVD movies during tablet mode? I'd like to buy one that
    doesnt require an external DVD drive.

    Thanks....

    TJM, Aug 2, 2004

  2. Josh Einstein, Aug 2, 2004

  3. TJM

    TJM Guest

    Yes, check this one out. Looks pretty cool.....but does the DVD drive function during tablet mode? I get
    the feeling it only works during laptop mode.

    TJM, Aug 2, 2004
  4. TJM

    TabletPC Guest

    Im not really up on the Averatec model but, dont forget that the convertible Tablet PC's are Laptops with tablet functions. The DVD drive does work in tablet mode on the Acer model I believe, well it did when I had demo of it last week.
    Hope this helps TJM

    -Tom

    TabletPC, Aug 2, 2004
  5. TJM

    Chris H. Guest

    Not exactly, Tom. Some of the "clamshell" models are laptops running the
    full Tablet PC Edition superset on top of Windows XP Pro. The convertible
    and slate models are a different form factor which is unique to the Tablet
    PCs, much lighter and slimmer than a laptop. However, they've not included
    a built-in DVD/CD-ROM drive, favoring the external approach.

    Chris H., Aug 2, 2004
  6. TJM

    terri Guest

    Hi, TJM,

    You might want to take a look at the Gateway M275, the Acer 300 series or
    the Averatec.

    If you're looking for DVD for movies, etc., landscape is definitely going to
    be better as that's the format that videos are recorded.

    Complete specs as well as a comparison chart are available at the site
    listed in my signature.

    terri, Aug 2, 2004
  7. TJM

    TJM Guest

    You might want to take a look at the Gateway M275, the Acer 300 series or
    Terri,

    You got a pretty cool site for Tablet PC shoppers....I will use it for my
    purchasing decisions.

    Is it safe to assume that if a convertible/hybrid Tablet PC has an internal-bay
    DVD drive, that it will function in both laptop and tablet mode? I dont want to
    buy a Tablet PC until I know that the DVD drive will function during tablet
    mode.

    TJM

    TJM, Aug 2, 2004
  8. TJM

    TJM Guest

    Not exactly, Tom. Some of the "clamshell" models are laptops running the
    Do you think the convertible/slates will soon offer internal DVD-DL burner
    drives? That would be killer.....

    TJM

    TJM, Aug 2, 2004
  9. TJM

    terri Guest

    Thanks, TJM. I hope it helps you make a decision. Once you narrow things
    down, check the manufacturer's site for more info. I have a couple of
    things to update, but overall, it's pretty current.

    From what I've seen, yes, they will function in portrait, just not as well
    unless what's being viewed is set up for portrait viewing. My preference is
    a slate, so it's an external drive, but it does work in portrait. Same with
    my convertible.

    terri, Aug 2, 2004
  10. TJM

    terri Guest

    It's a matter of weight and size. Not everyone wants to carry around the
    weight when it's not needed. The Avertec is over 5# equipped where the
    12.1"convertibles are about a pound or more less. Doesn't seem like much,
    but an add'l 20% is definitely noticeable.

    terri, Aug 2, 2004
  11. TJM

    Al Edlund Guest

    I just bought the Sony DVD-DL external and it is 2/3 the size of my Toshiba
    M200 and weighs almost as much.....
    al

    Al Edlund, Aug 2, 2004
  12. TJM

    Chris H. Guest

    From my way of thinking, most laptops in a few years will have the
    capabilities of the smaller, more convenient and less weighty Tablet PCs.
    However, I personally would not want the weight of a laptop (or an internal
    DVD/CD-ROM drive) to lug around all the time. The purpose of a Tablet PC is
    to provide full functions in a smaller form factor. When you're adding back
    in the internal components available in a laptop, you're also going to
    double (or more) the weight of the Tablet PC, making it less easy to just
    cradle in your arm or hold in one hand while taking notes in Ink with the
    other.

    Chris H., Aug 2, 2004
  13. TJM

    TJM Guest

    It's a matter of weight and size. Not everyone wants to carry around the
    Weight is always an issue with portable devices, but the functionality of a DVD
    drive is too great to pass up. Do they make 802.11g wireless DVD drives yet?
    That would be killer.....I could hang it off my waist with a belt clip ....keep
    the tablet light but still have DVD access handy when I am walking about, in the
    car, or out in the field.

    TJM, Aug 2, 2004
  14. TJM

    TJM Guest

    I just bought the Sony DVD-DL external and it is 2/3 the size of my Toshiba
    New technology is always big & bulky at first.....give it a year or two and the
    DL burner drives will be slim & light......plus we might have a wireless model
    that attaches to the waist with a belt clip and that keeps the tablet light.

    TJM, Aug 2, 2004
  15. TJM

    TJM Guest

    DVD/CD-ROM drive) to lug around all the time. The purpose of a Tablet PC is
    You make a good point that Tablet PC should be a mall & light form factor, but
    the functionality and storage of a 9GB DL burner would be too good to pass up
    for the mobile professional.

    I am hoping they start making 802.11g versions of the DVD-DL burners....that
    would solve the weight problem....just clip it on your belt! Then again, maybe
    a light 802.11g 200GB hard drive that you can clip to your belt would be even
    better?

    TJM, Aug 2, 2004
  16. TJM

    Cheryl Wise Guest

    Acer and Gateway also have built-in optical drives. As far as I know they
    all work in slate mode as well as tablet mode.

    I know Acer's does.

    Cheryl Wise, Aug 2, 2004
  17. TJM

    Cheryl Wise Guest

    Acer already does on the C302 model.

    Cheryl Wise, Aug 2, 2004
  18. TJM

    Cheryl Wise Guest

    The Toshiba m200 while a convertible does not have an internal optical drive
    bay. So it isn't safe to assume that a convertible will have an internal
    drive bay available.

    Cheryl Wise, Aug 2, 2004
  19. TJM

    Chris H. Guest

    That's true, but how often would you be using it? Once a day? Then it
    wouldn't be a bother to throw an external DVD drive in a backpack or
    something, rather than carrying the extra weight all day for 20 minutes'
    usage. Watch movies on it? Unless you've got an external power source, the
    Tablet PC batteries need to be fully charged with nothing else enabled to
    play a full DVD movie. And even then, you're probably going to drain the
    battery pretty close to nothing. So you need to be plugged in to power, and
    what difference would it make taking a minute or two to set up the external
    DVD drive? :cool:

    My thought is, unless you're in a situation of having to use a DVD drive
    constantly, you're setting yourself up with overkill having an external
    drive. I use mine probably twice a week at most, and primarily at home.

    Chris H., Aug 2, 2004
  20. TJM

    TJM Guest

    Acer and Gateway also have built-in optical drives. As far as I know they

    TJM, Aug 3, 2004