    mobo, and now I'm wondering whether I should have ordered heat sink
    compound/thermal grease as well.

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, Feb 11, 2014

  2. Percival P. Cassidy

    Bob Bailin Guest

    Re: Do Boxed Intel CPUs come with heat sink compound/thermal grease, etc?

    "Percival P. Cassidy" <> wrote in message
    > It's a looong time since I bought an Intel CPU. I just ordered a CPU and
    > mobo, and now I'm wondering whether I should have ordered heat sink
    > compound/thermal grease as well.
    >
    > Perce

    Yes, boxed Intel CPUs packaged with fan/heatsinks have thermal grease
    pre-applied to the base of the heatsink.

    Bob Bailin, Feb 11, 2014

  3. Percival P. Cassidy

    Ghostrider Guest

    > It's a looong time since I bought an Intel CPU. I just ordered a CPU and
    > mobo, and now I'm wondering whether I should have ordered heat sink
    > compound/thermal grease as well.
    >
    > Perce

    Sometimes they do and other times, they do not. Visit the Intel website
    for more information...

    http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-030339.htm?wapkw=boxed processors

    Personally, I really do not think much about the HSF's provided along
    with the CPU. My current favorite is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO,
    simply for the ease of mounting with minimal stress on the motherboard.

    GR

    Ghostrider, Feb 11, 2014
  4. Percival P. Cassidy

    VanguardLH Guest

    Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

    > It's a looong time since I bought an Intel CPU. I just ordered a CPU and
    > mobo, and now I'm wondering whether I should have ordered heat sink
    > compound/thermal grease as well.

    In a retail package for an Intel CPU, the included HSF will already have
    pre-applied thermal tape. It is for one-use only. If you ever remove
    the HSF, clean it and the CPU with isopropyl alcohol and apply a new
    thin transparent layer of thermal paste. Don't touch the thermal tape
    with your fingers that would pollute it with your body oils. You might
    want to use isopropyl alcohol with a cotton ear swab to clean the CPU
    plate before mounting the HSF to it, especially if you weren't careful
    in handling the CPU.

    I always order some thermal paste along with a CPU and/or HSF order if I
    don't have some on hand. That's in case I need to remove the HSF
    because temperatures are too high which could be due to an imperfect
    mounting of the HSF or CPU. Tape should only be used once. In fact,
    paste should only be used once, too. If you ever have to remove and
    remount the HSF, use new paste.

    VanguardLH, Feb 12, 2014
  5. Percival P. Cassidy

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    > It's a looong time since I bought an Intel CPU. I just ordered a CPU and
    > mobo, and now I'm wondering whether I should have ordered heat sink
    > compound/thermal grease as well.

    No, you don't need a separate heat sink compound. The boxed heatsink
    comes with a thermal wax already stuck to the heatsink, which you can
    use once, i.e. the very first time you install the processor. If for any
    reason you need to remove the heat sink from the processor, then you
    will need to apply new after-market heat sink compound.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Feb 14, 2014