Do I need to wipe drive and start again?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Jonathan, Sep 14, 2005.

  1. Jonathan

    Jonathan Guest

    I have a Blue and white G3-350, with the original 6 gig hard drive, and
    an external 200 gig firewire drive.

    I have 9.2.2 and 10.15 (was upgraded as far as it could go and not be 10.2

    It got very sluggish yesterday and failed to reboot, in fact it wouldn't
    boot into any siystem at all, and it would not boot off a disc, with the
    "C" key held down. I got online on another computer and saw resetting
    pram mentioned, which finally allowed it ot boot off a CD, DiskWarrior.

    After running DiskWarrior it would only boot into 9.2, trying to get it
    to go into X got a broken disk picture, and I would have to run disk
    warrior again to get back to 9.2

    I tried re-loading Sys X, no go, it would not take. Finally I removed
    everything I recognized as belonging to system X and tried installing it
    again. It sort of worked, but now it goes directly into a sign in
    screen, but did not ever open the screens where one sets up user
    accounts, etc

    I tried dragging the "user" files back from the external HD but that had
    no effect. I can get online with 9.2, but every time I try to boot X i
    get hung up at the sign in screen, it will not acccept any user name or
    password I ever used.

    Any idea? or questions? I am at a complete loss

    Thanks for any help.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan, Sep 14, 2005

  2. Jonathan-

    You should be able to boot from the OS X installation disk and reset the
    password.

    This would seem to be a good time to backup the old HD. Try booting from
    the OS X installation disk and using the Disk Utility program to create a
    disk image of the internal HD. Save the image to the external HD.

    It might also be a good time to upgrade to a larger internal HD. As long
    as you keep it below 127 GB, an ATA HD from Walmart should work. When
    installing the new HD in place of the old, be sure the master/slave jumper
    is set the same. Boot from the OS X installation disk, initialize the new
    HD and restore the old HD's disk image to the new HD.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Sep 14, 2005

  3. Jonathan

    Jonathan Wye Guest

    No error messages, it would load X then at reboot, hang with a black
    screen until I got tired of waiting and I would then have to restart off
    Diskwarrior disc.
    At the time I was trying to re-load 10.1. It was a basic System CD, like
    you would buy at Microcenter, not one from another Mac.

    Jonathan Wye, Sep 15, 2005
  4. Jonathan

    Jonathan Wye Guest

    Thanks. I hadn't realized that the password reset option existed on the
    install CD, as it usually self ran and required nothing other than starting.

    Ultimately this was a comedy of errors, caused, probably, by my own
    ignorance.

    I was able to back up most of my stuff and wipe the HD clean. Then I
    reloaded 9.1, downloaded 9.2, to find it wouldn't run my DVD reader, so
    I loaded 10.1 long enough to run the DVD reader to install 10.3, which
    seems to work OK now.

    I'll take a look at another internal disk when I am solvent.

    Thanks to those who responded.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Wye, Sep 15, 2005