    Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?

    HP and Compaq do, does Dell and Gateway?

    comments?

    piddie, May 17, 2004

  2. piddie

    Tritium Guest

    Probably. Isn't .NET a component of Windows XP-SP1 or
    installed with the SP1 upgrade?

    Tritium, May 17, 2004

  3. piddie

    SgtRich Guest

    No, it's not included in SP1.
    --
    <<<SgtRich>>>

    Desktop: Dell Dimension XPS T550
    Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both

    SgtRich, May 18, 2004
  4. Either they come with .Net Framework as part of the
    XP-Home/Professional installation, or they are a free
    "recommended" update when you use the Windows Update feature.

    I suspect the former, since every indication on my machines is
    that it was installed initially on the same date as the XPPro
    that came on my D4400. And updated my L733r to at the same time.

    Ogden Johnson III, May 18, 2004
  5. piddie

    S.Lewis Guest

    I've a retail install of XP Pro SP1 from 60 days ago. I had to download
    ..Net framework 1.1 from Windows Update recently, fwiw.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 18, 2004
  6. piddie

    WSZsr Guest

    It does not come on the system nor is it part of SP1. It is part of Disk
    Image 7.0 and probably other software packages.

    WSZsr, May 18, 2004
  7. piddie

    Tom Almy Guest

    My Dimension 8300 purchased in March with XP Pro appears to have .NET
    installed. I don't use/need it and it doesn't appear in Windows Update,
    however it does appear in Windows Update on my 2 year old Dimension 8300
    with XP Pro. Doesn't appear to be any way to uninstall it.

    Tom Almy, May 19, 2004
  8. Tom;
    It is a Microsoft Product available from windows Update.
    To uninstall, go to Add/Remove Programs.
    Look for "Microsoft .Net Framework"

    Jupiter Jones, May 19, 2004
  9. "Disk Image 7.0 and probably other software packages"
    No, it is not a part of those.
    It may be included with them but .Net Framework is a Microsoft Product
    It is available from Windows Update as a Recommended Update.

    Jupiter Jones, May 19, 2004
  10. piddie

    Ken Williams Guest

    What is the .NET stuff for anyways?

    Are there any benefits to installing it?

    kw

    Ken Williams, May 19, 2004
  11. piddie

    piddie Guest

    Every program made with Visual Studio C# or
    Visual Basic (latest version), will need this
    Framework to run.

    piddie, May 19, 2004
  12. piddie

    Ken Williams Guest

    So I can assume that they will list that as a minimum requirement for the
    program or self check/install upon software installation.
    kw

    Ken Williams, May 20, 2004
  13. piddie

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    I ran into the requirement while registering to report some issues with the
    XP SP2 beta on the MS site. Received a prompt that .Net needed to be
    installed to complete the report, provided a click to redirect to Windows
    update for the download.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 20, 2004